Waffles

5 years ago, I called my dad. I was seriously considering applying to law school, and I wanted his advice. I have always been close to my dad, and long after turning 18, I continue to seek his wisdom and advice.

He answered the phone. After the initial hello’s, I said, “Dad, I want your advice about law school.” In a classic case of real-life “telephone,” my dad heard something very different. He thought I said, “Dad, I want your advice about waffles.”

While I love baking, and I grew up baking with my dad, I typically don’t call him up for advice about what I should eat for breakfast.

We had a good laugh, and he gave me his thoughts on law school. But what I remember most from that conversation is what I promised him. I told him that if I ever graduated from law school, I would take him out for waffles.

On Sunday, I graduated from law school. Now it’s finally time to take my dad out for waffles. He lives in California, so I won’t be able to take him out for a while. In the meantime, however, I’m going to whip up some waffles for my roommates here in Boston! Nothing says bar-prep-here-I-come like a delicious plate of crispy, fluffly waffles.

In honor of this comedically ridiculous, yet nostalgic, promise, I wanted to share with you a fantastic waffle recipe (which, now that finals are over, I have time to make!)

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
  2. Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22180/waffles-i/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=6&isMetric=false

Here are my personal recommendations:

1. No need to add salt! There is plenty of sodium in the other ingredients. I’ve been baking successfully without salt for years.
  2. You can always use skim milk to keep the caloric count on the lower side.
  3. Add fun mix-ins! Fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.

I cannot wait to take my dad out for waffles. But in the meantime, I am going to bake more waffles than my roommates know what to do with!