Advice for Class Registration

I am in the process of registering for my 3L classes. It’s hard to believe that this is my last year of registration in law school (and most likely, ever!) and my perspective has changed since registration last summer for my 2L classes, so I wanted to share some tips and tricks for making the most of it:

1. This may be obvious, but rank smaller classes higher on your list than larger classes. It’s a no-brainer, but it’s always wisest to rank the smallest classes first so that you have a better chance of getting in and not being closed out. Even if you are closed out, however, this page outlines how to add yourself to a wait list (which you have to do to be admitted off of a wait list after attending the first class).
  2. Take a mix of seminars and large lectures. This will help not only in having a balanced schedule, but also when it comes to finals. In the Fall of my 2L year, I had two traditional final exams for large lectures (IP and Corporations), which was a welcome change from 1L. For the Spring, I had three traditional finals, two of which were for large lectures, and one for a smaller lecture that happened to have a traditional final. Either way, it’s always nice to mix up the types of courses you take as a 2 or 3L.
  3. As a 2L, it can be helpful to plan out your 2L and 3L schedules at the same time. While you can’t actually register for 3L courses as a rising 2L, something I wish I had done was map out what requirements I wanted to take each year. This page lists all of our graduation requirements, and it’s definitely wise to map out what you wish to take when, including both traditional requirements, and courses recommended for the bar.
  4. Read course and teacher evaluations when selecting courses. Course evaluations can be found here, and professor evaluations can be found here. These pages are very helpful and I wish I had been more aware of them last summer, so suffice it to say I have made them my best friend this summer as I choose my 3L courses. These are great resources for learning more about professors’ teaching styles, whether they cold call, and what other students’ overall impression of their class experiences were.
  5. Make sure that all of your requirements are met, and then have fun with it! Especially during 3L year, there is ample opportunity to take courses that align with your interests. So after you are sure that all of your graduation requirements are met, follow your curiosity when selecting courses. Also be sure to keep in mind all clinic, externship, and concentration opportunities!