Red Sox World Series Championship Parade!

If you’re wondering what it’s like to spend three years in Boston, I can tell you this: you’re likely going to have the chance to go to at least one championship parade. I’ll try to limit my gloating as I’m native to Massachusetts and this could very quickly turn into a “why Boston sports teams are the best” blog post but I imagine I might end up alienating some prospective students. I’ll try to remain somewhat impartial. Factually: during my time in law school, the Patriots have won the Super Bowl (at least once; this season isn’t over!) and the Red Sox have won the World Series. This means that Boston has hosted two championship parades! For those unfamiliar with how Boston celebrates winning, here are some details: the winning team and organization board duck boats and parade through the streets of downtown Boston, complete with confetti, tons of cheering fans, and giant-sized banners hanging from buildings.

I went to the Red Sox parade in ’07 when I was a kid and remember being enthralled. It’s exciting to see the entire city come together to cheer on the players and members of the organization. Everyone in the city was in a great mood even though it was a Wednesday, it was a bit chilly, and it was also Halloween. The Red Sox players really enjoyed it, too. I think the coolest part about Boston championship parades is the Duck Boats. Duck Boats in general are fascinating, and as a native resident they are one of the few things I don’t mind doing time and time again whenever I have out-of-town guests touring the city. They’re a quintessential piece of Boston history in their own right, and it’s just even more magical when they use them for the parades. For the parades, the Duck Boats get re-painted and re-named for the team (I saw a “Red Sox Nathan” duck boat, a play on “Red Sox Nation” and named for Nathan Eovaldi, in my opinion the unsung hero of the entire post-season). All the players board the duck boats, which have been modified with open-air platforms so players can stand and wave as they stick out of the top of the boat. There are signs on each duck boat identifying which players are present, and the boats receive constant cheers as they make their way down Tremont Street and through the heart of the city.

This year I went to the Red Sox parade on my lunch break from my internship and it was just as captivating as I remembered it. I watched from the intersection of School Street and Tremont Street, right in the heart of old town Boston and one block away from the Boston Common. I was standing next to a church which dates back to the 1700s and it was ringing its bell from the tower for the entire parade. Red, white, and blue confetti was everywhere and everyone from little kids to businessmen and attorneys in suits (and Red Sox hats) were crowded around to see the champions. It was fun, and exciting, and brought the entire city together. Even if you aren’t a fan of Boston sports, getting the chance to participate in a championship parade will solidify for you what the city of Boston is all about. The parades emphasize everything about this city: blue-collar roots next to white-collar institutions, a healthy dose of competitiveness next to collegiality for a common goal, historic duck boats passing by 18th Century churches and all-glass skyscrapers, and most of all, supporting each other.