Julie and Julia and Diana

I recently re-watched one of my favorite movies “Julie and Julia” starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams, and it reminded me just how much I’d missed the art of cooking. I believe one of the reasons people became infatuated with Julia Child, is due to her ability to make anything seem easy –no matter the task she always tackled it head on with confidence and determination. Julia Child left a legacy of being one of the greatest chefs to ever live, yet she didn’t begin cooking professionally until much later in her life. Though she could have been intimidated by the expertise and experience of her French peers, she continued to show up to Culinary School prepared and eager to learn what she did not know. We can all learn from Julia Child not to let experience or lack there-of  get in the way of the goals we set for ourselves.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

As the credits began to roll, I knew I wanted to recreate one of Julia’s infamous recipes -beef bourguignon. With the craziness of finals I decided to wait until to Christmas Break to tackle the dish.  I’m grateful that my dad welcomes and loves cooking as much as I do. He grew up watching his own father own a restaurant, and quickly learned to appreciate the art of preparing meals.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

After a semester of law school and much more take-out then I’d like to admit, I was so grateful to be reminded that cooking is truly an art. Perhaps even one of the first forms of expressions human’s discovered. The conversation that surrounds a meal on a table, similar to discussion that surrounds the art throughout the Louvre. Similar to taste, each piece of artwork leaves its own impression.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

With New Years only a few days away, I realize life isn’t slowing down anytime soon and we don’t always have 4 hours to create a masterpiece on a plate, however I appreciate the few times that I do have enough time to paint with sauces, stencil with knives and taste the art; hopefully always with loved ones surrounding the table.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Below I have linked the recipe we mostly followed and if you have not already seen the film Julie and Julie I highly recommend.

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/julia-childs-beef-bourguignon/cdda3ccc-3623-4363-8095-aaca1a3f8313