Easy Law School Breakfast To-Go!

So, let’s get this out of the way early: I am not a morning person, a breakfast person, or a cook. And that’s a tough place to be in when you have morning classes and don’t have a ton of time to eat beforehand. I found myself relying on protein bars that I could throw in my bag, but was getting a little bored with my options. Then, a law school friend told me about the banana oat muffins she makes almost every weekend to last her through the week! This interested me because I’m gluten free and am starved for baked goods these days. Most gluten free baked goods you find at the store aren’t that great, are expensive, and have weird preservatives or ingredients in them to try and mimic gluten-full taste. Anyways, I digress.

While I’m not a cook, I think I’ve discovered that I really like to bake. I make these muffins approximately every other Sunday, and the batch lasts me through the week (eating 2 muffins a day, they’re small). When I bake on Sunday evening, I take the time to unplug from my phone and work, and focus on the task at hand. It’s a nice little exercise in mindfulness, and helps me relax before the business of the week begins. So not only are there physical sustenance benefits, these muffins—and the process of making them—provide emotional and mental sustenance, too!

These muffins are easy, healthy (they’re not “vegan flaxmeal sunshine and rainbows” healthy, but they’re pretty impressively healthy), and taste so good! They even taste good to non-gluten-free people, as I’ve tested them out on my boyfriend, roommate, friend, and mother. They approve! I’m a bit iffy on whether I can actually copy the recipe word-for-word (lawyer brain, amiright?) so I’m linking it here:

Original recipe found on: Bren Did Blog 

And here are the tweaks I typically make:

• Always use 3 overripe bananas
  • Heavy pour on the vanilla (I love vanilla)
  • Light pour on the honey (not the biggest fan of honey)
  • Add in one scoop Pea Protein powder and one scoop Collagen Peptides to liquid batter for extra protein
  • I don’t toast the oats beforehand and don’t put any on the tops of the muffins

Thanks to Phoebe for sharing the recipe with me, and Bren for creating the recipe in the first place! Happy baking, reflecting, and eating!