The Denial

Trying to land a summer job is intense. Not only is it extremely aggravating, but it lasts for months. I thought I could avoid this pain by applying as early as possible. Thereby I thought I would have a job by now and be able to focus on my studies. Boy, was I wrong. My first interview came in early January and I could not be more excited. It was at a place I had dreamed about working with for months and I know in the long run this is somewhere I want to end up. What made it even better was the company had said my application was “particularly interesting.” The interview was fine, nothing too crazy happened. I gave my spiel and they seemed genuinely interested in me. It seemed like I had the job in the bag.

Flash forward two months and I was still waiting to hear back. I was busy stress applying to places I was not interested in whatsoever because I had set my heart on the initial interview. There’s nothing wrong with having dreams, but after that long of a wait you have to wonder what is going on. I finally got the denial yesterday after psyching myself up for so long. It was devastating. I really thought this was the place for me.

However, what you need to realize is that even though you may look great on paper and you may have done the best you could at the interview – there is always some reason it could go wrong. Reasons that are far out of your own control. Perhaps there were just as many equally qualified candidates and you just didn’t make the cut. Maybe they had to draw straws when they were choosing because it was so close (a nice thought). But worse, maybe your interview was awful! But how in the world are you supposed to know?

After I’ve had some time to cool off (feels like a rough break up right now) I will be reaching out. However, heartbreaking it was, I would like to know what I could do better next time. Maybe it seems too eager beaver, but I genuinely think companies admire when candidates ask for pointers and show a real interest in the company. Perhaps they have other opportunities that could get me the experience I need or know of others they could point me towards. Taking each failure as a learning lesson not only will make the experience more bearable, but it could also ensure you don’t experience it again!