Choosing a Law School: A Dreadful and Wonderful Adventure

Wow, I’m glad I am already in school rather than deciding where to go. For me, the decision was tough. Finances, career interests, and family relationships whirred in my head for months before deciding. In the end, BU came out the clear winner: a great school with a million clinical opportunities near my in-laws. A few pieces of advice as you take the next steps on your journey to law school:

• Scholarships and financial aid travel farther at less expensive schools. I know that sounds like common sense, but it is important to keep in mind your full financial picture and not just the dollar amount of aid you are offered at each school. BU Law’s tuition is considerably lower than many (if not all) of the top 25 schools.
  • Go to school where you want to live! Sure, you will be studying inside for much of your first year, but that doesn’t mean you won’t want to visit world renowned museums (for free!) on the weekends through the BU Arts Initiative, or walk a few blocks from school for a delicious, affordable dinner at Mei Mei.
  • EVERYONE (including yours truly) will give you advice. Accept what makes sense to you and take the rest with a grain of salt. The law school and legal market likely looks different today than it did when your coworkers graduated from law school 10, 20, or 40 years ago. Listen, ponder, and trust your gut. You know what’s best for you.

Good luck!