Spring Break Pro Bono

Spring Break should be a time for wild parties, going to the beach, or just getting back home to see family and friends right?

img

Well, usually that’s the case for me, but for some reason, I decided to apply for BU’s Spring Break Pro Bono trips. BU offers a wide variety of trips to help out those in need of legal services. Places like Detroit, Phoenix, and New Orleans are some of the areas BU has visited. I decided to apply for one of the few Boston Pro Bono placements mainly because I am thinking of staying here in Boston and want to get acquainted with the legal community here. I did want to go to Phoenix to experience warmer climates, but that one required fluency in Spanish – I definitely regret taking French in high school now!

But why would someone give up the chance to kick back and enjoy a margarita on a beach and instead work for 40 hours unpaid? Well first of all, if you’re like me and went straight to law school from undergraduate you have little to no legal experience. Obviously, there is nothing wrong with the K-JD path – going straight to law school shows your drive to learn and your ability to adapt quickly, among many other things. But, when you are against competition who have been paralegals, have worked with firms before, and who have been working 40 hour weeks for years, you’ve got some catching up to do.

Now that’s the career reasons for doing the pro bono experience with BU, but there is also the gratification you get for helping out your community. I was assigned to work at Court Services in the Family and Probate Court as well as the Housing Court. I shadowed attorneys all week and helped fill out paperwork for pro se (self-represented) litigants. These are people who cannot afford a fancy lawyer to fill out all the paperwork for them to fight evictions, alter child support, or file for divorces. The court services center is relatively new and helps pro se litigants fill out the paperwork correctly the first time so their cases aren’t dismissed and they never get the help they need. It was a rewarding experience, emotionally draining, but one of the most educational weeks of my life. You learn a lot in law school, but not as much as you do in the real world.

Further, you can also get an idea of the types of lawyers who are out in the legal community. You also get a sense of the type of work that you may want to do and that which you may not want to do. I learned that this is the type of environment I do not want to work in nor is it the subject area that interests me the most. A little disheartening, yet, every day was exciting and it got me even more ecstatic about pursuing a legal career. It made me more confident in my choice of going to law school. I loved helping people to achieve their goals and to battle through the bureaucracy. That is why I encourage you to participate in a Spring Break Pro Bono trip when you get here. And if you are still in undergraduate, know there are so many legal opportunities you can get involved in to get experience. There were undergraduate interns at the Court Services center literally filling out the exact same paperwork I was filling out for clients!