A Tribute to BU Law Professors

Recently, one of our esteemed professors announced that she would not be returning to BU in the near future; it got me feeling some kind of way. As many of you may know, BU Law has some of the best professors in the nation. They’re all at the top of their field and they love to teach. When you get a professor who is amped up about seemingly dry topics like civil procedure or property you can’t help but get excited as well.

I feel like my section has been truly lucky because our professors are some of the most talked about and loved professors at BU Law. Obviously, I am biased and there are many many great professors here, but let me just give you some examples of the professors we have had.

Professor Gary Lawson: He is my property professor this semester, and I was 100% not prepared for what this class would be like. He doesn’t cold call, so for those of you who are dreading the fear of having to perform legal analysis and recite the facts of a case on the spot, this is your guy. If you have a question, chances are he is going to ask the question himself during the lecture and answer it right there. He is always coming up with hilarious hypotheticals and creates an appreciation for classic rock in all his students. On top of this, he is one of the best legal scholars in regards to the necessary and proper clause, administrative law, and so much more.

Professor Katharine Silbaugh: She was my torts professor last semester. She is caring, kind, and truly values making sure students understand the material. Coming into law school, no one knows what a tort is, let alone how what law school is like. Professor Silbaugh introduced us to legal reasoning and the law in general and she did an outstanding job. Her cold calls are the opposite of Professor Lawson. One or two people are on call per class and they will stay on call the entire time. It can be a little daunting, but she asks some of the most interesting and thought-provoking questions that make you practice your new legal skills. Professor Silbaugh is a leader in family law and employment law.

Professor Jack Beermann: He is my constitutional law professor. I came to law school thinking that constitutional law would be my jam, and boy I could not be happier with this semester. If you have Professor Beermann, you will learn about his love of administrative law, baseball, and coincidentally beer. Every day you’ll hear clever jokes and criticisms of the Court and Constitution. Many of my classmates complain that they don’t have a straight forward rule to apply after each Beermann class, but he has made it abundantly clear through his lectures and his questions that constitutional law is not, and will never be a simple subject. So many different philosophies plague the constitution and for better or worse many people have opinions on the subject. Beermann keeps it real and shows you how to interpret this ancient document as if you were Scalia or even Ginsburg.

Finally, (not sure if I’m allowed to tell you, but freedom of the press I suppose…) our criminal law professor Khiara Bridges is the one who will not be teaching after this semester. My first experience at BU was when I came to the admitted students day. I met a few people there and I had heard from a few people, not just one, that BU was at the top of the list because of one professor. They said not only is she a scholar in the field of constitutional law and race, but she is a classically trained ballet dancer. I thought, to myself, woah this place is crazy, why would someone go to a school because of a professor?? That being said, taking criminal law with her, a subject I had little interest in, was life-changing. She cares about her students, she relates every subject back to real-world implications, and you are always thinking on your feet with great hypotheticals. I feel truly honored to have been able to learn from her, and I know the faculty along with the students will greatly feel her absence when she leaves.

Though we have lost one great BU professor, the school remains full of professors who are mentors, scholars, and activists. They work hard and they care about their students. They’re at the top of their game and simply being in their classrooms is an honor.