Thinking Forward to the Sumner M. Redstone Building Celebration

When our law school’s founders decided in 1872 to admit students without regard to race, gender or religion, it was a bold decision by a forward-thinking group of educators.  In honor of that confident spirit and commitment to thinking forward, this monthly blog, “Thinking Forward,” will be a forum to share with you the creativity, resourcefulness, and dedication of the BU Law community as we embrace the opportunities and challenges in the new world of legal education.

I also invite you to follow me on Twitter (@BULawDean), where I’ll be sharing news about BU Law and providing updates on my many opportunities to meet our loyal alumni all across the country. This month, I will be visiting BU Law graduates in New York, Atlanta and Chicago.

boston university school of law tower and sumner m redstone buildingAs you may recall, we had to cancel our groundbreaking ceremony for the Sumner M. Redstone Building scheduled for April 19 when the City of Boston shut down while law enforcement officials pursued the alleged Boston Marathon bombers. Six months later, we remain “Boston Strong” and will hold the Sumner M. Redstone Building Celebration on Friday, October 25 at 2:30 pm on Alpert Mall to kick off Alumni & Reunion Weekend. I look forward to seeing many of you there showing support for our school and our city!

Those of us who were in the law tower this summer were treated  to the “sounds of progress” as the Skanska construction team erected the steel frame of the Redstone Building and began repairing the concrete exterior of the law tower. After more than a decade of planning for our new building, I’m thrilled to see (and hear) the progress!  Now that our students are back in class, we have scheduled the noisier aspects of the construction during overnight hours.

Check out the web cam to see what the new building looks like today: http://www.bu.edu/law/building/live-view.shtml.  You can also view a time-lapse video of the construction here: http://oxblue.com/open/bostonuniversity. Just click on the Law School image and then click on “Time Lapse” at the top of the next screen.

I look forward to seeing you on October 25th!