California Deanin’

With the dedication of Boston University School of Law’s Redstone Building officially complete and the fall semester well underway, I traveled to California in October to visit alumni and employers. California is the second largest geographic area from which our students come and one of the most common work destinations for our graduates. It is critically important that we strengthen our relationships with the region’s employers and with our alumni who are now living and working out West. Our larger strategy is to continue to work to ensure that our students and alumni have a strong community of professional and social connections associated with BU Law. Each day, we see examples of how this community makes a difference, particularly in this challenging and evolving employment environment.

Accompanied by Fiona Hornblower, Assistant Dean for Career Development & Public Service, I visited leading employers in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Silicon Valley. I shared with them how we are preparing our students to graduate from BU Law with both the critical knowledge and lawyering skills that they need to be effective attorneys in a rapidly evolving legal environment. I was proud to update them on several of BU Law’s initiatives, including our 1L Lawyering Lab, our online Business Fundamentals course, and our Accelerated 3-Year JD/MBA degree program. In return, the firms gave us their thoughts on how we could partner with them to make our students even more competitive for the most coveted positions.

Myself, Assistant Dean Fiona Hornblower, and Nate O'Connell from the BU Law Alumni Office

Myself, Fiona Hornblower, and Nate O’Connell

While in California, I had the opportunity to meet individually with some alumni in the area and also to attend two alumni receptions. Jonathan Zepp (’01), Director of Entertainment Content Partnerships for YouTube hosted a reception at the Google/YouTube offices in Beverly Hills. In San Francisco, BU Law alumni gathered at the Aventine Parlor Bar. It was wonderful to hear how our alums are applying their law school educations and tapping into the BU Law alumni network throughout their careers. I also heard a lot of positive feedback about the Sumner M. Redstone Building from West Coast alumni who were in town for reunion. I hope that all of our alumni will be able to make a trip to Boston to tour our new building!

Alumni at our San Francisco reception

Alumni at our San Francisco reception

My trip to California was a great way to reconnect with and learn more from our alums in that great state. Our goal is to build formal alumni networks on the West Coast like we have in New York, Washington DC, and Chicago.

I hope that all of our alumni, regardless of location, will be ambassadors for BU Law with their employers. Please do connect with the Career Development & Public Service Office (lawcdo@bu.edu) to learn how you can help strengthen the BU Law network for students and alumni. Please also keep an eye out for the new Alumni Survey, which you should receive soon—and complete it so we can continue to serve you better!

I am now looking forward to traveling to New York November 4 – 6 for more employer and alumni visits. It can’t all be sunshine and palm trees!