Thank you to our graduation speaker, US Attorney Carmen Ortiz, and our newest alumni and their families and friends for a wonderful Commencement ceremony. We heard inspiring words from Ms. Ortiz, who is the first Hispanic and the first woman to serve as the US Attorney for the District of Massachusetts.
Some of our 2016 graduates will follow in Ms. Ortiz’s steps and become government lawyers, working for the Food & Drug Administration and the Government Accountability Office. Others will provide legal services in the military as members of the Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
Many of our graduates will enter private practice with New England law firms, while others will launch their careers in New York City, Washington, DC, San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, and Houston. Several members of the Class of 2016 will join district attorney and public defender offices in Colorado, Massachusetts, and New York.
Two graduates, Corrylee Drozda and Jasmine Gomez, will begin post-graduate fellowships in the fall. Drozda has been accepted into the US Department of Justice Attorney General’s Honors program, the largest and most prestigious federal entry level attorney hiring program of its kind. She will spend two years as a clerk in the San Antonio Immigration Court.
Gomez is a recipient of a Democracy Honors Fellowship from Free Speech for People, a national advocacy organization dedicated to amending the US Constitution to overturn the US Supreme Court’s rulings in Citizens United v. FEC and Buckley v. Valeo. She will join their Legal Advocacy Program in Boston.
Additionally, eleven graduates were awarded BU Law Public Service Fellowships:
- Lauren Bentlage – Health Law Advocates (Boston, MA). She is the recipient of the N. Neal Pike Fellowship, which sponsors a fellow to work in the field of disability rights
- Christian Berchild – Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP Post-Graduate Fellow, Chicago Legal Clinic, Immigration Unit (Chicago, IL)
- Jade Brown – Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP Post-Graduate Fellow, Greater Boston Legal Services, Consumer Law Unit (Boston, MA)
- Jessica Burnett – Yanan and Dan Schwartz Post-Graduate Fellow, Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network (Westminster, CO)
- Ting Yan Chiu – Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP Post-Graduate Fellow, Greater Boston Legal Services, Asian Outreach Unit (Boston, MA)
- Mary-Anne Gilbert – Lisa G. Beckerman Post-Graduate Fellow, Casa Myrna Vazquez (Boston, MA)
- Michael Gregory – Richard M. Belanger Post-Graduate Fellowship, Capital Appeals Project (New Orleans, LA)
- Violeta Haralampieva – William and Patricia Kleh Post-Graduate Fellow, Refugee Solidarity Network (New York, NY) and Refugee Rights Turkey (Istanbul, Turkey)
- Brittany Kerr – Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP Post-Graduate Fellow, Greater Boston Legal Services, Criminal Offender Record Information Unit (Boston, MA)
- Chloe Noonan – Gerard H. Cohen Post-Graduate Fellow, Lawyers Committee for Better Housing (Chicago, IL)
- Alexandra Tucker – Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP Post-Graduate Fellow, Center for Family Representation (New York, NY)
We look forward to keeping in touch with the Class of 2016 and wish them all the best in their new ventures!