Happy New Year! Here in the Student Affairs Office we are excited to welcome you back and to host our Spring programs. Mark your calendars, the annual Building Bridges reception will be held on March 21 from 6-8pm at the African American History Museum. Building Bridges brings current students and alumni of color together to network and build support systems outside the law tower. Martin Luther King Day is January 21st. Since there are no classes that day, consider attending BU’s MLK Day Celebration.
- January 4- February 3: The Huntington Theater Company presents Invisible Man. I saw this theatrical adaptation of Ralph Ellison’s landmark novel about race, power and freedom over the break and it was amazing. Highly recommend. Student (25 and under) tickets are $15.
- January 18: An Evening with Toni Morrison. Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winner, Professor Morrison along with representatives of Northeastern Law School’s Civil Rights and Restorative Justice Project will discuss the harms suffered by so many during the Civil Rights era and highlight the current work to restore justice. Tickets are $17.
- January 29(note date change): Boston Lawyer’s Group presents Charting Your Legal Future-A Career Conference for Law School Students of Color. Topics include Mentoring, Job Search Strategies, Public Sector Opportunities and Life as a Lawyer. This event is free.
- January 31: Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association’s Committee on Transgender Inclusion hosts Light Up the Night Party. This annual reception and celebration is free and open to law students of all gender identities.
- In an article entitled “Boston’s Champions of Diversity,” Boston.com recognized people of various professions who promote diversity in Massachusetts. The article featured BU Law Alum Kelly Bates.
- It has been four years since the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pair Act was signed, however the gender wage gap persists. This infographic demonstrates how this continues and how it affects women’s lives.
- The Supreme Court will hear arguments over laws affecting gay marriage in March.
- Justice Sotomayor to Become First Latina to Administer Oath of Office.
Diversity Scholarship, Fellowship, and Internship Opportunities
- The Grand Rapids and the Floyd Skinner Bar Associations: Minority Clerkship Program- deadline February 5, 2013.
- Boston Lawyer’s Group: 1L Diversity Clerkship-email me for further information, deadline February 8, 2013.
- Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association: 2013 Alexander G. Gray, Jr. Scholarship Award-email me for further information, deadline February 15, 2013.
This semester I will also bring more lectures and panels on diversity and social justice issues through the Legacy Series. Upcoming topics include the Emancipation Proclamation and Self Presentation in the Legal Profession. If you have any ideas for a Legacy Series event, feel free to stop by my office.