Our Hearts Are Full

Monday, April 15 started as a glorious, sunny day.  It ended in terrible tragedy.  We lost a member of the Boston University community, student Lu Lingzi.  I hope you will take a moment to learn more about her: http://www.bu.edu/today/2013/promise-and-potential-cut-short/
Another BU student was seriously injured.  The loss and suffering from this horrific act extended beyond BU.  Our hearts are full of sadness; the ramifications will be felt forever. 

I couldn’t help but remember that terrible day on September 11, 2001, when so many lives changed forever.  The awful feelings from that day came rushing back as I heard the news about what happened on Monday.  Feelings of helplessness, despair, deep sadness, and sympathy for those who lost their lives or were injured.   But, slowly, the pain is dulled a bit by stories of heroism, of countless people who rushed to aid the injured, never disclosing their names.

I am not from Boston but I am proud to call Boston my home.  People talk about the strength and resilience of Bostonians, and I have seen many examples of that since I came here in 1985.   I know that we will have a Boston Marathon next year, and that we will come back stronger than ever.   We also must make sure that we remember and honor those who lost their lives, and that we find ways to help support those who have suffered.

I am proud to be part of a supportive, caring communityto help with the healing process.  BU Law students are collecting funds for the One Fund Boston, which will help those who suffered.  BU Student Health Services has organized support groups for students who have been impacted by this tragedy.  BU also has several counseling resources to offer support, such as the BU Behavioral Medicine Clinic, the Danielsen Institute, chaplains through Marsh Chapel, and the the Sexual Assault Response & Prevention Center (SARP).  Please take advantage of these resources.  And know that my staff and I are here to help in any way we can.

-Associate Dean Chris Marx