11/6/12

Those who know me know that I am a politically-minded person.  I think that politics are important because the decisions of our leaders have very serious consequences for our day-to-day lives and our well-being.

My friends also know that I have a unique global perspective, having lived abroad for six years of my life.

So tonight’s presidential debate was of particular interest to me.  I get it–we live in a world where violence happens, war happens, and the US takes pretty strong military stances on conflicts around the world where we feel like we have a stake.  But I’m very conscious of hoping to live in a world where I can work for peace.  While the last two debates have discussed issues that are very relevant to individuals’ health and wealth, I’m extremely aware of the big picture, and what foreign policy discussions mean for us as individuals.

I want to live in a world where American leaders don’t feel like it’s our purpose to make everyone else in the world agree with us.  It’s ok if other countries work better under different political, economic, and cultural systems from us.  Would the world be interesting otherwise?  I think it’s important for us to value differences and further our understanding of them.

As a Christian, I value the viewpoints of Muslims, Hindus, Jews…you name it.  I value different understandings of the world, and different perspectives, because they push me to question and affirm my own beliefs and opinions.

So this election cycle, I’m asking myself which candidate is taking policies that will further America’s appreciation of the intricate and complex cultural system that is our world, and help me to further my appreciation for and understanding of not only my own, but others’ viewpoints and values.