Making Gratitude My Spiritual Practice

As this semester has progressed, I’ve started to notice myself running on autopilot. I wake up, go to class, try to eat a couple of meals, and finish as much of the ever-increasing homework pile as I can manage before I fall back asleep. Even though I promised myself that when I got to college I would start a spiritual practice, the possibility of having enough time to sit, pray, and be grateful for the blessings of my life and this new experience is increasingly out of reach amid the stress of daily existence.

This weekend, though, has given me the perspective to hopefully rearrange my priorities. On Saturday morning, I got a flustered call from my mom. She had been in a pretty serious car accident while taking my Grandpa to my Great Uncle’s funeral. Both of them are safe, not counting a few bruises and stitches, but the car is nearly totaled. As I’ve reflected on this, I’m overwhelmed with gratitude that they were able to walk away from the accident. I know it sounds a little cliché, but sometimes it takes this sort of ordeal to remind me what is really important in my life.

In the midst of the worry, fear and gratitude that stemmed from this incident, I have decided to make more time for prayer and thankfulness in my life. I have an alarm saved in my phone so that I will take a few minutes every day, to stop and put away whatever work I’m doing. To read something inspirational, or say a prayer thanking god for the health of my family and all the other blessings in my life. It is my hope that this daily practice will help me remember to live my life more in the present and with a deeper sense of gratitude.