Passionate feelings

I was asked this week about the single thing that I am most passionate about in life.  I was flabbergasted.  I literally had no idea.  I knew coming up with an answer would take some serious thinking, meditation, and discernment time.

I am passionate about many different things; living wages, fair trade, preventing Sexual Assault, Student communities, faith communities…just to name a few.

I had never before considered what was the most important of these all, or rather the theme that runs through them.

The thing that I am most passionate about in life is just that.  The preservation of life, and by extension, the preservation of quality of life.  This is most importantly to all of humanity, but I also have a soft spot in my heart for all of God’s non-human creatures.  They deserve quality life also.

I discovered that everything I do is rooted in this idea.  Suddenly it seemed silly that I had not been able to consider this sooner.

In ministry so much of what is needed is the preservation of quality of life.  Teaching and guiding people that God gives us all we need.  We are cherished, loved, forgiven, and redeemed children of the Most High Creator of the Universe.  In my own life that has been an incredible force.  Knowing that has allowed me to live in a joy like no other.  In my life, if I can share that joy,  if I can show someone how God can give them a new perspective, and a better quality of life, then that would fulfill my passions and my calling.

Amen.