Sharing our Gifts

This week at Sanctuary, I got the privilege of welcoming and getting to know a first time participant in our community. She just moved to Boston for college and is still getting used to the whole transition, but found her to way to Sanctuary. To say she fell in love immediately would be an understatement! She is so excited about our community, itching to contribute, and just filled up with Sanctuary love.

We talked a lot after the service, and I just kept seeing myself in her experience. I remember exactly how blown away I was by my first Sanctuary. I remember the tears, the laughter and the sense of immediate belonging. I remember feeling like the divine had never felt so close and so part of me. And I remember feeling even before the service had even ended that I was ready to commit my whole heart, and as much time as I could give to this place. And over the past two years I really have.

As someone now fully established in this community, watching a new person light up and feel this instant connection to my community is just incredible. It has really illuminated the commitment I have to enthusiastic welcome as part of my ministry. I think if I believe in a community that I’m apart of, regardless of my position within it, it is my imperative to bring in new people. More than just bringing people through the door though, I think I need to help people find ways to share their gifts with the community. This awesome new person said, “I love how it’s so easy to get involved, unlike a regular church where sometimes it can feel a little intimidating.” I understand that feeling and I don’t want any of the communities that I care about to feel intimidating for new people.

I believe that all people have worth and dignity, but more than that, they have gifts and talents that I need and our communities need to be more whole. My responsibility then, and I think everyone’s responsibility is to give of ourselves and help others find ways to give. In all that giving we become the people and communities that the world needs.