Interfaith makes my Heart sing.

A few weeks ago at the chapel I got to see something amazing.  Rev. Soren Hessler shared with us experiences of interfaith workings, why it is important, and what it means for us as Christians.  A reading from the Torah and a reading from the Quran were heard at Marsh Chapel.

It made my little heart sing.

As a religion major I love the shared experience of religion.  I think there is something beautiful that we can learn from one another as individuals who value and love faith.  It is a beautiful part of the shared human experience.  I was thrilled to hear such a positive step in the Chapel’s direction towards being an open place of Christian hospitality.

I was sitting on the lectern side, and as I am rather short I can not ever see the congregation when I am sitting up there.  I was shocked and a little heart broken to hear that a hand full of people left during the service.  I was even more disheartened to hear about the not so nice notes that were left in the offering plate.

What is the offering plate?  A place where we can practice giving.  A place where we can give of our hearts and wallets in spiritual practice.  It felt uneasy to hear that the offering plate was used for such harshness and intolerance.

I was saddened to hear that so many people had not opened their hearts.

But yet, it still happened.  The truth and honest exposure of the complicated beautiful nature of interfaith was given as a gift to those of us willing to listen. I can not let the few erase the victory.

I was inspired, and uplifted to see such a beautiful moment of collaboration.  Faith, all faith should be celebrated authentically.  As Christians we are called to love and to be radically hospitable.  I am inspired by that radical hospitality that the Chapel is moving towards.  It makes my heart sing.  What an amazing place I have the privileged to be in.  God is good.  Amen.