Silence and Thank You Ian

In our weekly marsh meeting, fellow intern and friend Ian said something before he began his remarks that struck me. He said, “I don’t mind long periods of silence” and it made me think that I haven’t been in silence in a while. There is always some noise around me and I purposely do that. Music in my headphones, people, or just a TV even though I’m not watching it. I used to love silence and the simpleness of it and its ability to induce thought. Now I think I run from it. I don’t want to think too much, but thanks to Ian I think I’ll make some more time for silence. It’s not awkward just uncomfortable. On the subject of thanking Ian, I realize that my time working with such a special human is quickly coming to a close. I had planned to post a thank you letter to both of our fearless leaders, Kasey and Ian, later in the year, and I still do, but I think I’ll write a little about Ian.

Ian is a quiet one out of our bunch, but when he does talk he speaks volumes. He sits in our meeting knitting away, but you never for a second doubt that he is attentively listening. I think I admire that most about him. He listens better than most people I know. He’s unique in that he’s not calculating his thoughts or even just nodding and agreeing, he makes you feel valued. Though he is quiet, he is the first to make you feel at home. He’s willing to be brave so you don’t have to be. I’ve only read a handful of his blogs and he is thoughtful to say the least. He’s vulnerable and he’s willing to stick his neck out for you. I haven’t had the pleasure of having more than three deep and thoughtful conversations with him, but I know he is someone I can trust. Seeing him leave will be bitter sweet. Marsh will be losing one of the most passionate and genuine people to come through this program, but the world will gain a person that we desperately need. Our cohort will lose our Marsh expert, do it all and then some and the only rational one in our group, but in his absence we will each grow to listen more. Perhaps, it is his willingness to bask in silence that makes him such a good listener. That in combination with humble courage, makes for the leader we need.

Ian this is only the beginning for you and for my thank you letter.