Happiness is…

It’s weekends like this one where I can wholeheartedly say, “I love my job.”

On Friday night, Jess, Karen and I hosted my favorite event of the semester: spiritual paint night! For me, I relish an excuse to turn off my mind and just create for a couple of hours, that’s why I love our “Create Space” event on Tuesdays so much, and there’s something even more wonderful about spending the evening with some good music, great friends and God’s presence as you paint. My favorite part of paint night is definitely at the end when you can see what everyone else has created. It’s so cool to me that I can be in a room full of people I may not know very well and I just get this sense of who they are based on what they decided to put on a canvas in our short time together. I met other students, we had some quality community time, and I think everyone left with their mind a little more at ease, and that’s what Marsh global ministry is all about, isn’t it?

The other thing I love about my job is just the fact that it’s here in Boston. This city never stops amazing me. On Saturday, a friend took me to the South End and I fell in love with all the cobblestone streets. It was almost quiet, even though still in the middle of the city. Almost. I decided to walk all the way home instead of taking the train just to enjoy this incredible place I’m blessed to call home. I think if you would have told a younger me that she’d be living in “the big city,” she might not have believed you. It’s amazing to reflect on how far I’ve come and how lucky I’ve been to have supportive family and friends always helping me achieve my dreams and work towards my goals, even the toughest ones.

This morning we celebrated World Communion Sunday and Jess was preaching. I would highly recommend tuning into the WBUR podcast to give her sermon a listen. She talked about Global Dinner Club and how both wonderful and important it is that we continue to come together. And she’s absolutely right. I look forward to Tuesday every week because I know I’m going to share a meal and great stories with some amazing people I never would have met without GDC bringing us together. It reminds me of why I wanted to move to Boston in the first place, exploring all of the different paths life has to offer. I don’t just learn about my new friends, some of whom come from different cities, states and countries, but I also learn about myself. From the new freshmen to the grad students who join us for dinner, my fellow associates and chapel staff, these people are teaching me who I am and showing me the kind of person I want to be.

So yeah, I guess you could say I love my job.