Bitter Cold Psalms

This semester in Sojourn, we have been playing around with various different ideas and practices in community, in contemplation, in service, and in discussion.

This week, we did a contemplation of a kind similar to journaling, and we read a few Psalms. Our current section of Cadres, or Sojourn meetings, have been revolving around themes of anxiety and worrying and other experiences of “negative” emotions. The Psalms are full of sorrows and worries. They are also full of praises. In our journaling, we were advised to either rewrite a Psalm in language to make it more personal or write our own psalm.

I decided to write my own psalm.

As I began writing and reflecting, subtle emotions began to flood my mind. It felt like I was reflecting for the first time in weeks! The last few weeks have been stressful and full of planning, and this week in particular was hard. Buried in assignments, and already existentially drained by stresses of the current political and social landscapes of the world around me, I have just not been myself recently.

The psalm reflected these feelings. Here it is:

___________________________________________________

psalms

It was nice to finally sit down and reflect again for the first time in a while. There is so much I want to write about and talk about and explore further, but I am still exhausted.

Kasey Shultz posted on November 15, 2017 at 12:31 am

I love this so much.