The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I got a little bit excited just typing out that title and thinking about my father’s impeccable Andy Williams impersonation. According to the massive evergreen in Quincy Market, the holiday season has officially arrived. But, as the daily devotion in my inbox and my daunting finals schedule have reminded me, it’s not quite Christmas yet. And I’m going to keep ignoring the second of those reminders.

Sunday kicked off my absolute favorite season, liturgically referred to as Advent, but even outside its religious context, the month of December seems to fill everyone with excitement and anticipation. I love this time of year because everything seems to sparkle; from Christmas lights on the street to the first flakes of falling snow (although even in Boston we’re still waiting on that winter weather). In December, the whole world seems to get glitzed up for one last celebration of life before we kick off the next trip around the sun. It’s a time for forgiveness, reflection and hope for what’s to come next. As a senior, that last bit is really resonating with me this year. In just a few more weeks I’ll have new classes, new opportunities, and a new internship with the International Institute of New England helping to resettle refugees. I love how December makes everything feel so special.

I started thinking about how can be a little more like December. I was thinking of an amazing woman I’ve met this year and why I (and just about everyone else) love being around her. A friend described it perfectly: “Some people just have this amazing ability to make everyone feel special.” My goal for this season is to practice that myself. If I have something nice to say, I’ll say it. If someone needs a friend, I’ll be there. If thanks are due, I’ll give them. Hopefully, I can be a part of what makes this time of the year so wonderful.

Marilyn Swearingin posted on December 5, 2017 at 3:16 pm

I didn’t know your dad had an amazing Andy Williams impersonation!! I only knew of your mother’s addiction to the movie White Christmas!

Jill Nowak posted on December 5, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Beautiful post Maritt! December will be brighter yet in a few weeks when you come home for the holidays!!

mixing tank posted on June 16, 2023 at 9:52 pm

Impressive!

nedyas posted on August 20, 2023 at 10:41 am

You wrote a good text…
that was perfect…