Remembering Faith In Rachmaninoff

I just returned from a BU Orchestra concert. To be quite honest, my expectations were not incredibly high given the fact that we’ve only been in school for about a month. Yet, I was surprised as to how well the orchestra actually played.

The musicians created a full, rich sound while sharing moments of deep musicality, visibly moving many of the assorted audience members. Rachmaninoff’s 2nd Symphony was the chosen work for the evening, and in typical Rachmaninoff fashion, the violins played their hearts out and the brass had their moments of bright flourishes.

But as beautiful as the music was, I couldn’t stop thinking about the conversation I’d just departed from at the weekly Marsh meeting. Specifically, Devin’s heartfelt and inspiring narrative of his faith journey remained in my consciousness.

I recounted his words, “I made Jesus my best friend,” and, “It’s bigger than me.”

I hope to remind myself of these statements of faith this week and in the weeks to come. For there’s a lot to be said for reminding one’s self of the importance of knowing the presence of God in one’s life and humbly assuming such a role. No matter how beautiful or symbolic humanity’s impressions of the natural world may be, we are merely microscopic in the presence of God. In remembering this, I hope to let go of my anxieties and trust in my friend Jesus.

ned.yas posted on June 10, 2023 at 6:04 am

Of course, you have to find original and good music. In my opinion, music has a direct effect on reaching spirituality.