Travels

The last time I was home with my family, I had time to reflect where I had been and where I was going. My dad told me I was lucky to have visited the places I did by the age that I am. When he was my age he had never even left his side of the island (Dominican Republic). However, he has visited many countries in comparison to the average Dominican and has always said that his favorite place the Czech Republic. But he was right, I was privileged in the sense that I got to see and live in parts of the world that he, along with many others, ignore in their lives. Throughout my life I’ve visited four countries, which isn’t much, but that’s Four more than the number my parents had gone to at my age. Looking back on the year I was able to see a bit of the region that I study and explore how diverse it is and understand that what you learn in an academic setting will never satisfy the region because of the complexities that come along with the Middle East, as well as the rest of the world.

I was able to go to Israel, Palestine, and Morocco this year and learn things along the way. I was able to visit the third holiest mosque in the world in Jerusalem and the third largest in Casablanca. I was able to eat different foods and speak with different people about their perspectives. I would love to continue traveling the world because these experiences are things that cannot be taken from me.

Even though I don’t live there and don’t plan on living there for a while, Miami is and will always be my home. That’s where I grew up, made mistakes, learned, and worked hard because of the opportunities my parents made sure I had. I will always consider Miami my home.

neda.yasin posted on June 7, 2023 at 2:45 am

Traveling is a very enjoyable thing…
Especially when you have a lot of fun…