Transitions

When I made the decision a few years ago to go to school in Boston instead of somewhere close to home, I knew that it would be a transition, and I knew there would be challenges. Growing up my mom would tell me to be prepared as life has more transitions than I might think. I chose to attend Wheelock College, a small liberal arts school specializing in careers in education, human development, and child life. This is when the first transition would happen.

I got accepted into a special program called “Bridge”. It was for students who needed a little extra time to adjust to college. I decided during bridge to “change” majors from Child Life to Early Childhood Education. Things went well over the next year, and I was thriving as an admissions ambassador at Wheelock. That May, I went home for the summer just like everyone else.

Two weeks before I was to fly back with my mom, I received an email that would change everything for me. Wheelock College as I knew it was going to close effective June 1, 2018, and that Wheelock would be merging with Boston University. As expected, I had a minor meltdown and LOTS of questions spinning in my head. I told my mom essentially ” I did not sign up for this, I am not going to Boston University!” I really considered transferring     to Emmanuel College, which I had gotten into along with Wheelock. My mom eventually talked me out of it, even though I was hesitant still.

Sophomore year flew by, and it got to the point where there was a lot of tension at Wheelock because people wanted answers. This was another transition because I had to transition into getting ready to essentially start my college career all over again. I finished Sophomore year and went home determined to spend the summer preparing myself for the transition and the new school year.

I returned to Boston ready for the challenge of a bigger school, more people, and tougher classes. I was also determined to get involved in some way at BU. However, the most important thing for me was to find a church and a church family. Soon, I found my church and church family at Marsh Chapel, got the internship of my dreams, and rushed Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed fraternity focused on community service. Even though I knew that the transition would not be easy, I knew that the transition would be part of life, just as my mom told me growing up.

“Transitions themselves are not the issue, but how well you respond to their challenges!”

This quote has been one of out family sayings for years. Our lives prepare us for the transitions the future brings. Sometimes when we’re going through the hardest transitions in our lives, such as when I had to let go of Wheelock and become part of a new community and part of something bigger than myself. I’ve always been told that how well you respond to change and transition says a lot, and I truly believe that’s the truth. However, I believe that my faith has really played a role just as much in how I handle transitions and change. I have my God to thank for how well this experience has gone so far for me, and I would be where I am without my faith. I believe that before the semester, and I believe that now.

nedaya posted on June 6, 2023 at 6:02 am

How much we prepare ourselves for changes is important… otherwise there will always be changes…