Thoughts on the BU Study on Sexual Assault

There were numerous statistics and numbers on the BU sexual assault survey that came out last week. The quantifiable measurements were innumerable. Many of those statistics were quite disheartening, shocking, and downright demoralizing.

One such statistic that I felt was missing was that of an emotional statistic. What is the response to such numbers by the BU community emotionally? How do people feel answering the study? What are the emotional implications of trauma? If each story is personal and important, how do we then move from a stat sheet to an in-person conversation?

These are questions that I’ve been struggling with after reading over the survey. As a member of the associate team at Marsh Chapel, I feel as though I have a responsibility to help those in all times of crisis. I seek to make people feel whole and valued. I look at these daunting numbers and I feel a bit overwhelmed. It’s hard to clarify a solution in my head about what the best course of action to take is. However, I do know that the quantifiable measurements of suffering will not fix a problem, but are the first step in answering the call to help.

neda posted on May 22, 2023 at 3:43 am

Very bad and shocking statistics have been published… it’s a very bad situation…

mixing tank posted on June 16, 2023 at 9:39 pm

You’re a force to be reckoned with!