Food

I love food, but who doesn’t.

IMG_6874 IMG_6873

These are called malasadas, Portuguese fried dough.  They are wonderful and must be eaten fresh.  You can have them plain (that’s how I like them), or with sugar, or with sugar and cinnamon.  If you ever go to a Portuguese feast go to the malasadas stand and purchase one, you will not regret it.

Ginger and Honey Cake

1 lemon peel
gingerhoneycake
2 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger
13 table spoons of sugar
7 tablespoons of honey
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a cake pan

In a food processor finely grate the lemon peel and ginger.  In mixing bowl add ginger lemon to sugar, honey, eggs and beat.  Then add the flour and baking powder. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through, the original recipe said 45 minutes but it will dry up if it cooks too long.  This cake is really good if you want to toast it in the toaster and eat it will a little jam or cut into croutons to add to a salad.

Papas – Porridge

I give credit for this recipe to Azorean Greenbean.  I used to eat these all the time when I was little and still love them when I want something sweet and have nothing in the house.

Ingredients:
2 cups of milkpapas
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
small pinch of salt
Sugar/Cinnamon

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together flour, sugar and salt. Leave aside
In saucepan add milk and over medium heat bring the milk to almost a boil. Then slowly add the flour mixture and whisk everything together. Continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and just begins to boil.
Pour the mixture on to two plates or one if you don’t plan on sharing.  Let it cool for a few minutes.
Then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.  I like to use course sugar and I sprinkle when it’s still a little hot.  It forms a nice crust, that you crack and eat!  Yummy.