Hello NEH Summer Scholars!

Participants in the NEH Summer Workshop African Americans in Massachusetts, From Slavery to Today are able to post information to this blog.

Bill Ringer posted on May 3, 2011 at 10:50 am

Hello Everyone!

I am looking forward to a wonderful week of learning and getting to know everyone. June 19 will be the start of an excellent chance to make new friends, enjoy a new city, and gain content knowledge for my classroom.

Can’t wait —

Bill

Soren Hessler posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:40 am

We look forward to seeing you in June. Boston is an exciting city. I hope that you are able to take some time to see the sights while you are here.

Talia smith posted on June 3, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Hello I too am excited about this opportunity! This is my first workshop. I look forward to all the opportunities. See you soon.

brenda miller posted on June 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Greetings,
Our big adventure is fast approaching. I can’t wait to share this amazing experience with other dedicated educators and history buffs.

cathy posted on June 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Hey ya’ll- I fly into Boston on the 19th at 11:53- on June 19th, anyone else arriving around that time, want to share a cab?
Cathy

brenda miller posted on June 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Sorry Cathy I don’t arrive until 1:43 and was thinking about taking public transportation. I’ll check back in a few days to see if others are interested in meeting up at the airport.
Brenda

cathy posted on June 8, 2011 at 11:53 am

I probably will take public trans as well, just wondered about gettin my suitcase on and off! IF anyone comes in on Sunday at noonish, let me know
phone: 919-601-6848 in North Carolina

Carol Burkhead-Fox posted on June 9, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I get in around 2; is anyone thinking about renting a car?

Gregory Hazelwood posted on June 10, 2011 at 8:24 am

It should be a wonderful experience, I am local and I agree that the city is unique, exciting, and should be an enyoyable place to have fun and learn.

Dondrinea Williams posted on June 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’m really excited! I won’t be arriving until around 5:30…anyone else arriving at that time?

Donna posted on June 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Dondrinea,
I arrive at 5:40 pm on the 19th and I am thinking of taking a cab. Will we make it to the dorm in time?

Jan Schmidgall-Petroff posted on June 14, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I am arriving late on the 18th but I am staying at the airport. I planned on doing a bit of sightseeing on Sun. but would love to meet someone to navigate the T or share a cab with. I am open to the time and can meet at the airport. 480-993-4714 in Arizona.

Dondrinea Williams posted on June 16, 2011 at 12:51 am

@ Donna, I sure hope so, maybe I should email/call someone and ask. I’m pretty sure it will be alright. Not flying Delta by any chance? 🙂

Soren Hessler posted on June 16, 2011 at 9:35 am

@ Donna @Dondrinea: Registration for the workshop runs from 3pm-7pm on Sunday at 33 Harry Agganis Way. If you don’t make it by 7pm, you can still pick up your room keys, but you will need to pick up your workshop materials on Monday morning. Monday morning registration will be from 7:30am – 8:30am in Room 511 of the College of General Studies Building, 871 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215 (a 7 minute walk from 33 Harry Agganis Way).

LeDora Williams posted on June 17, 2011 at 1:41 am

@ Donna & Dondrinea: I am coming from Houston, and scheduled to arrive at 5:45pm. I was thinking to take a cab since my flight is coming in so close to the registration time. I definitely wouldn’t mind sharing. My contact # is: 713-459-1519.

brenda miller posted on June 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I’d be happy to meet at airport, will arrive about 2:00, flying Delta. Sharing a cab or taking the train works for me:) Cathy and Jan I’ll give you a call upon arrival, or feel free to contact me at 208-761-7468. Jan enjoy the sites.

Dondrinea Williams posted on June 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Thank you Soren! @ LeDora, would love to share! I’m flying in on Delta from Dallas/Ft Worth, my flight is scheduled to land at 5:37. Thanks for leaving your contact info.

Dondrinea Williams posted on June 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm

@Donna, LeDora and I have talked and we are planning to meet at the Airport and share a cab, since our flights arrive around the same time. Her contact info is posted above and my number is 817.269.9055. Just an FYI!

Carol Burkhead-Fox posted on June 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I am flying United and scheduled to land at 2. I would love to share a cab with someone. 618.304.8711 is my cell.

brenda miller posted on June 25, 2011 at 7:02 pm

What a great week. Thank you to everyone for all of the great conversations and classroom ideas. I hope everyone makes it home safely. Have a great summer.
Brenda

Deirdre posted on June 26, 2011 at 6:46 am

Hi Everyone from Week 1,
I just wanted to say how great it was meeting all of you. Getting to know you was the best part of the week. Thanks to all for their feedback on the evals. If you have not yet had a chance to go online, we would be appreciative if you could do this soon. Happy travels!
Best,
Deirdre

Hi Week 2,
Please call my cell if you have any traveling issues. 781-718-5217.
Best,
Deirdre

Eric Low posted on June 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Hi Everyone–Thanks for the week it was a great experience. If anyone is interested in getting Professional Development credits for this workshop then please let me know. I am an adjunct prof for the Heritage Institute/Antioch University and we provide Professional Development graduate level credits for NEH, Gilder-Lehrman, etc workshops. If you have questions then you can either email me directly or look at the following link for more details. Thanks and have a great summer, Eric
Link: http://www.hol.edu/view_course.cfm?cid=2637

Deirdre James posted on July 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hi Everyone,
Just checking about the person who left their charger in Great Barrington. Did you connect with Cathy Dargi there as she says she found it?
Best to all,
Deirdre