Promotion

The Association of American Medical Colleges released its latest Analysis in Brief. These two-page reports synthesize large data sets into legible snapshots. In this case, the picture is of promotion rates for medical school faculty.

The results are discouraging. First-time assistant professors between 1967 and 1976 took 5.2 years to get promoted. In each subsequent decade, the average time to promotion has increased until the most recent cohort, which averages 6.2 years to reach promotion.

Men are more likely to be promoted than women and white faculty are more likely to be promoted than minorities. We’re still compiling statistics at Boston University’s Department of Medicine to see how we stack up with these national numbers.

Still, the trend is undeniable. A smaller proportion of the faculty are getting promoted, and it’s taking longer for them to do it.

Tags: ,

7 Responses to “Promotion”

1. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. Cheers

2. An exceptionally nice blog you have got here. I like your typing style and it’s very informative posts, I will come back here again!

3. David Strop says:

Wanted putting up. A huge amount of quality scribbling proper. I wish I’ve went to the theater defined the website earlier. Good job!

4. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

5. I am not really great with English but I come up this very easygoing to read.

6. Outstanding post, I believe website owners should learn a lot from this site its real user genial . “You don’t have to deserve your mother’s love. You have to deserve your father’s.” by Robert Frost.

7. Bob Conoly says:

try these out, Hello! I just would like to supply a huge thumbs up for the good info you might have here in this post. I might be coming back to your blog for more soon.