Residency Plagiarism

Ever since the Internet became the predominant source of information for students, new concerns about plagiarism have arisen. Certainly academic dishonesty existed before, but now a sneaky student does not even have to take the time to copy purloined passages by hand. It’s just a cut and a paste away.

The New York Times reported on this trend recently. Now the Annals of Internal Medicine have published a study called “Plagiarism in Residency Application Essays.” The authors analyzed application essays for the five largest residency programs at Brigham and Women’s Hospital using the Turnitin application. They found that 5% of the essays registered as plagiarized.

In general, international students and students with lesser qualifications were more likely to plagiarize, but the study found instances of top students plagiarizing, too. I tend to think that part of the blame lies with the assignment. A personal narrative is such a vague prompt. Applicants don’t intend to be dishonest, but they have little guidance for what kind of essay is appropriate. In this case, it seems safe to borrow from a supposedly trusted source. This is not to excuse their actions, but it does suggest that the application process could be tailored to elicit more original responses.

Tags:

10 Responses to “Residency Plagiarism”

1. Mike says:

I don’t agree with this at all…

2. Bless you for this specific tips I was basically researching all Google in order to find it!

3. Howdy, Might I copy your post photo and make use of that on my personal site?

4. Nice site you got here. Helped me out a bunch. I have a few questions though, is there anyone I could contact to answer them here? I could use a few opinions.

5. This is really a quite very good read for me, Need to admit you’re a single from the greatest bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.

6. Me and my husband are using this course http://hopclicks.com/moneyplan to improve our earning from blogging. You should try this out.

7. aaaa says:

ı love your web site

8. Phuong Johar says:

Many thanks for an amazing publish, may read your particular others posts. thank you your thinking on this, I soon became a lttle bit made an impact to by this article. Thanks again! You earn a good time. Has wonderful data here. I believe if more people thought of it doing this, they’d possess a better time period receive the hold ofing the matter.

9. Hey dude, what kind of wordpress theme are you using ? i want it to use on my blog too,    .

10. You, my pal, ROCK! I found exactly the info I already searched all over the place and just couldn’t find it. What a great web site.