Incompetent Colleagues

A study in the July 14, 2010 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association reports on the findings of a survey of nearly 2,000 physicians around the country. The authors, from Massachusetts General Hospital, asked how many of the respondents knew of a colleague who was impaired or incompetent to perform work. The low proportion who said yes (17%) was encouraging, but the proportion who informed the authorities (69%) was also low.

The upshot of the study points to a gap between the recognition of improper behavior and the mechanisms for how to combat it. Those who did not report their bungling colleagues mostly cited reasons like they thought someone else was taking care of the problem or that a formal complaint would have no effect.

Perhaps even more upsetting–though less commented on–was the finding that only 64% of all respondents felt a professional obligation to report impaired or incompetent colleagues. For the integrity of the profession and the benefit of patients, every physician must feel responsible for helping their colleagues. Leadership should ensure that such reports will be taken seriously, investigated, and acted on.

Tags:

16 Responses to “Incompetent Colleagues”

1. Hi just thought i would let you know one thing.. It is twice today i have landed on your blog in the last 2 days searching for completely unrelated things. Odd or what?

2. Recent Blogroll Additions…

I saw this really good post today….

3. Check this out…

Here are some of the sites we recommend for our visitors…

4. I’ve run across a website like that before. I want to say it was a cafe press or zazzle website, but I’m not for sure. If remember I will post it here! Thanks for visiting 101 Tees!

5. I need to ask how many hours did you actually spend publishing this write-up? It really is incredibly effectively written and writing is not my strong level. It truly exhibits that you might be keen about this, and it arrives across via your articles and reviews. Nicely carried out, and I will make it a point to comply with you from now on.

6. Title… Alright a roni! such a grand location! I think you should use this topic to create a bigger buzz!…

7. Great post. Thanks for the info.

8. I do accept as true with all of the concepts you’ve introduced in your post. They are really convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very brief for novices. Could you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

9. games says:

Incompetent Colleagues Faculty Development and Diversity is an excellent blog post. I will spend more time exploring this issue.

10. gun cleaning says:

Hi, Thank you for this awesome posting! I will bookmark Incompetent Colleagues Faculty Development and Diversity. Thank you.

11. Excellent task writing Incompetent Colleagues Faculty Development and Diversity. I’d like to read more on this matter.

12. Greetings, how’s it going? I hope you do well. I wanted to say that I like Incompetent Colleagues Faculty Development and Diversity.

13. gothic top says:

Awesome writing in Incompetent Colleagues Faculty Development and Diversity. I liked reading this article. If you like, please visit my website.

14. Hi, how are you? I hope you are doing well. I needed to say that I like Incompetent Colleagues Faculty Development and Diversity.

15. If you dont mind, where do you host your web site? I am shopping for a good quality host and your weblog appears to be fast and up most the time

16. Olek203445 says:

you might have an incredible blog right here! would you prefer to make some invite posts on my blog?