Backing Up

It’s a researcher’s nightmare: you are close to completing a large project, and your computer crashes, taking the data or the analysis with it.

Graduate student John Boldt thought he could avoid the problem by storing his nearly finished thesis on a laptop and a backup on an external hard drive. He left them in his car when he went for a run. When he came back, both copies were stolen.

Sometimes when I lose a piece of writing I’m working on, it’s a blessing in disguise. I’m forced to go back and recreate my thoughts. The second time is usually more succinct. Still, I don’t like that feeling of seeing all my efforts get deleted.

I back up on a shared drive, but usually only once a week. I’ve also tried thumb drives to ferry files back and forth between my work and home computer. There’s an on-line service called Dropbox that gives users 2GB free storage on the cloud. I’m not sure there’s a single best way to back up as long as it becomes a consistent habit.

Tags:

10 Responses to “Backing Up”

1. Gucci purses says:

Here is definitely an area that may be of support to you!…

2. […] Ryan Clady Andre Johnson Adrian Peterson Troy Polamalu […]

3. Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.

4. Via my notice, shopping for electronics online can for sure be expensive, yet there are some how-to’s that you can use to obtain the best things. There are usually ways to come across discount discounts that could help make one to buy the best electronic products products at the smallest prices. Interesting blog post.

5. Thank you for the report! These types of looks like pleasurable and helpful devices.

6. You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.

7. The information on your website is good. Looking send for more postings.

8. Have you given any consideration at all with translating your web site in to Spanish? I know a couple of translaters here that will might help you do it for free if you want to make contact with me.

9. I have to say that your post was very helpful. It is great to see high grade information being ditributed on the internet these days. I personally own and run a site and I understand the high priority of quality content and it’s serious impact it causes on the quality of a website. I personally believe kudos should be given when its deserved to other webmasters.

10. Thanks a lot for providing individuals with a very marvellous chance to check tips from this blog. It’s usually so awesome plus packed with a great time for me personally and my office co-workers to search your blog minimum 3 times a week to read through the fresh things you have. And lastly, I’m just actually fulfilled considering the striking creative ideas served by you. Selected 3 ideas on this page are clearly the very best I’ve had.