Continuing Medical Education

Physicians must earn continuing medical education credits each year to maintain their licenses. These credits come in the form of courses with updates on the latest peer-reviewed findings in medical care. For instance, one doctor I spoke to who works with many Iraq War veterans has set up a workshop to help other physicians identify the signs of PTSD in patients.

Increasingly, pharmaceutical companies and device manufacturers have sponsored CME courses. The accrediting agency for CME found that industry contributed $1.2 billion –nearly half of all funding for CME–in 2007. While that number has dropped as medical schools begin to cut down on conflicts of interest, many companies still pay for doctors to attend CME courses in luxurious locations.

A Harvard Medical School neurologist is part of a team that is developing a new CME curriculum free of industry influence. As the Boston Globe revealed in their story, even the founders of this company have ties to another firm that accepted industry money. And their own plan is to sell courses directly to hospitals. Just as with campaign finance, it seems that it’s impossible to avoid any conflict of interest when it comes to the medical field. Maybe the solution is to require more disclosure of funding sources.

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “Continuing Medical Education”

1. Pretty portion of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to say that I get in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing in your augment and even I achievement you access persistently rapidly.

2. Isidro Nish says:

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ‘Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of “neighbors” will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune “Social” is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

3. My pal recommended I’d like that website. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply the time I have spent for this purpose info! Thanks! I do not realize generate profits finished up here, nevertheless thought this post was great. I do not know about what you do but certainly you’re visiting a famous blogger should you aren’t already 😉 Cheers! Heya i am the first time here. I found this board plus i find that it’s really useful & it reduced the problem out much. With regards to to convey something back and aid others familiar aided me.

4. This is a very nifty website. Thanks for the Runescape tips, I bet they’ll come in handy.

5. Thank you for the awesome tips on runescape! I’ll be reding more articles and learning more.

6. Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to check it out. I’m definitely loving the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and brilliant style and design.