Tips for Grant Writers

After I finish reviewing a stack of grant proposals, I’m reminded of how few applicants take their audience into account. Many proposals include obscure acronyms, few paragraph breaks, and no succinct summary of the research question.

A grant reviewer in the sciences has released a similar list of suggestions for grant writers. Not coincidentally, the reviewer advises applicants to show empathy for the overworked reader. Some of the tips:

• Use headers. Bold them and use them to show the flow of your argument.
  • Include figures and visual aids to illustrate key data or methods.
  • Give as much attention to the broader impact and diversity statements as you do to the project.

For BU faculty, we have additional resources available to help conform your grant to the new NIH format. Of course, reading too much advice can sometimes serve as a distraction from the actual writing of the grant.

The overriding message to keep in mind is to think like a reviewer. What are the criteria that reviewers are looking for? What formatting, figures, and language can you use that enhance clarity? In most cases, a reviewer comes to a conclusion by the first page and then looks for confirming evidence. Make that first page shine.

Tags:

6 Responses to “Tips for Grant Writers”

1. Dana Cornes says:

36. hello!,I like your writing so much! share we communicate more about your article on AOL? I require a specialist on this area to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Looking forward to see you.

2. Utterly composed content material, regards for entropy. “In the fight between you and the world, back the world.” by Frank Zappa.

3. Good write-up, I am regular visitor of oneˇ¦s site, maintain up the nice operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a long time.

4. I have got 1 recommendation for your weblog. It seems like at this time there are a number of cascading stylesheet troubles while launching a selection of web pages within google chrome as well as opera. It is working okay in internet explorer. Perhaps you can double check that.

5. Can you email me with any hints & tips about how you made your blog site look this awesome , Id appreciate it!

6. visit site says:

I love that site layout ! How did you make it? It is so good!