No Glass Ceiling?

Traditionally, one of the explanations for the relatively low percentage of women in the faculty ranks of math and science departments has been the ongoing presence of discrimination. At every level of training and career, scientists must earn acceptance from peers, whether in admission to graduate programs, job interviews, or grant reviews. Bias, even if unconscious, can creep in to disadvantage female applicants, the theory goes.

A new study by two scholars in Cornell’s Department of Human Development argues that discrimination does not play a factor in the underrepresentation of women in scientific fields. In the awarding of fellowships, the review of manuscripts, and the interviewing for jobs, the authors found no evidence for bias against female candidates of comparable preparation to their male counterparts.

The real source of inequality is that women overwhelmingly occupy part-time or teaching-intensive positions, limiting their access to the resources needed to produce sophisticated research. Whether by choice or by societal expectations, women often prioritize what the authors call “fertility/lifestyle” concerns in establishing their careers. These decisions make it less likely for women scientists to develop a track record of success. The good news is that women scientists of similar training and accomplishment can count on fair treatment in the academic workplace.

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “No Glass Ceiling?”

1. Hi, just required you to know Wehe added your site to my Google bookmarks due to your layout. But seriously, Webelieve your internet site has 1 in the freshest theme I??ve came across. It extremely helps make reading your blog significantly easier.

2. Website worth visiting…

below you’ll find the link to some sites that we think you should visit…

3. Recommeneded website…

4. Check this out…

Here are some of the sites we recommend for our visitors…

5. What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid other users like its helped me. Great job.

6. Recent Blogroll Additions…

I saw this really good post today….

7. domy weselne says:

Website worth visiting…

8. Great website…

9. perfumy says:

Website worth visiting…

10. Great website…

If you need more stuff about it please email me, I think I can help and you could write more articles….

11. oilatum soft says:

apteka w sieci…

vichy…

12. Nice subject , I really am trying to learn how to make my site this interesting !

13. Recent Blogroll Additions…

I saw this really good post today….

14. buty szpilki says:

Great website…

15. You should check this out…

I saw this really great post today….

16. buty asics says:

Recent Blogroll Additions…

I saw this really great post today….

17. mp3 download says:

Great website…

18. There are definitely loads of details like that to take into consideration. That could be a great point to carry up. I offer the ideas above as normal inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you bring up the place crucial factor will likely be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around things like that, however I am sure that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the influence of only a second’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

19. I was looking at some of your content on this internet site and I believe this site is really informative! Continue posting.

20. The subsequent time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I mean, I know it was my option to learn, however I truly thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you may fix if you werent too busy on the lookout for attention.

21. praktyk nlp says:

Website worth visiting…

22. Chang Grabinski says:

Hello..Keep it up.Good work…unique site and interesting too… keep it up…looking forward for more updates.

23. wonderful issues altogether, you simply won a new reader. What might you suggest about your submit that you just made a few days ago? Any positive?

24. I conceive this internet site contains very wonderful composed articles blog posts.

25. Carol,br /That statute will not suggest that a trust is often a member. It also does not exclude the obvious that a trustee about the deed may perhaps be described as a member. This statute expands the scope of who may possibly be described as a member. A trust, on the other hand, can under no circumstances be considered a member simply because it is just a contract instead of a human getting or a corporation. A number of these concerns are tricky and it is greatest to seek the guidance of counsel. If the deed fails, then the property would not be part of the trust corpus. This sort of mistakes may be corrected but normally not during an election or recall.