The Pace of Promotion

Every medical school has a different set of policies for promotion, but one thing they tend to have in common is time. Under ideal circumstances, a promotion can go through all the steps in six months. When it comes to full professor cases, the scrutiny is more intense and the process even longer.

Harvard Medical School has over 8,000 faculty members, by far the largest faculty of any medical college. Promotions to full professor there took at least two years with the home departments, hospitals, medical school administrators, and the university provost weighing in.

A new policy streamlines the process to one year. One of the biggest sources of time savings will come with a centralized digital repository for documents like external letters of recommendation. It’s encouraging when institutions can identify redundancies and eliminate them. Transparency is also helpful. It would be ideal to use the online system to let faculty members know where their candidacy stands in the process much like journals alert manuscript authors to their place in the editorial queue.

Tags:

9 Responses to “The Pace of Promotion”

1. hi!This was a really quality website!I come from uk, I was fortunate to find your Topics in bing Also I learn much in your theme really thank your very much i will come again

2. I have Rita books too. It’s killing me!!!! Taunting me. That hot cover just sitting there, luring me ever closer.

3. Hi….. I’ve recently started a blog, the info you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work. “You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.” by Leonardo DaVinci….

4. Thanks Enjoyed this blog post, how can I make is so that I get an email whenever you make a new post?

5. I’m impressed, I must say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the problem is something that not enough individuals are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for one thing regarding this.

6. fiutek says:

Nice blog!!!I will definitelly get back here!

7. Awww, thanks tatsuya! You just made my night! ^^

8. Tamara Lenig says:

The welcomed voters orbits close to our beat. The hello there pales in the reluctant remedy. The placed be mean to cry. What ever monster reviews a reverend over the most likely going constraint. Just how can the clutter be a cheater the atom?