Longhand

I began my training in the last days of the card catalog and the first wave of the Internet. It was still a novelty to own a computer, but I brought a word processing machine–essentially a souped-up typewriter–to my freshman dorm.

Like many of my generation, the grammar of computers has influenced how I approach writing. I look at a paragraph and wonder what I can cut and paste. I scroll down the page and add notes to myself for future sections of the paper. Of course, I also spend time changing fonts and backing up files.

Several studies have now demonstrated the benefits of writing by hand. People who wrote down their goals were more likely to achieve them. Students who wrote down vocabulary words were more likely to learn a foreign language. The physical act of writing seems to trigger the part of the brain that focuses attention.

When it comes to long manuscripts, I’m still more likely to use a computer, which allows for more easy editing and sharing. But for to do lists, goal setting, and memorization, writing it out has the upper hand.

Tags: ,

3 Responses to “Longhand”

1. Podsluchy says:

I certainly like the design of your blob. I welcome the quality of the information. You have done a excellent job. Thank you very much

2. You can update software on any computer, what you don’t want to do is sync if this is not the computer the iPhone normally syncs with. You can disable auto-sync when an iPod/iPhone is connected under iTunes>Preferences>Devices.

3. I just entered you desire, know about it