Flying High!

When Ben was 5, his greatest wish was to fly. He didn’t care how–either planes or rockets would do. He was granted a room in which he could dream of flying, from the incredibly generous Room to Dream Foundation, who selected Ben as the third child (at that time) to benefit from a newly created healing space in which Ben could focus on living instead of his chronic health issues. Decked out with an airplane light and mural, a “hangar” closet door, and pictures of astronauts with personal messages to Ben, how could he not dream of flying high?

Ben the flying squirrel, May 2012

Ben the flying squirrel, May 2012

Last week at Hale Reservation, Ben, along with his 5th grade classmates, did indeed fly high. With the determined help of Sprague school’s physical therapist and Ben’s teachers, Ben became a flying squirrel! He was also able to go up in the ropes course swing, and with Beth Quinty, aka MacGyver, Ben was able to participate in rowing as well. I happened to be in Minneapolis at this time, attending the annual meeting of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration, a teaching conference for faculty in health policy and management programs, but I got regular updates from Beth along the way. When I later asked Ben what his favorite activity was, he said, “The ropes. I could have stayed up there all day!”. He may now be twice as old, but his love of flying is still strong!

Ben’s love of planes–and moving fast in general–is so BOY. We know he would want to dive into a bathtub if he could. When Charlotte was asking about swimming lessons today, Ben said to me, “when will I get my trach out so that I can swim?”. And if that weren’t killer enough, Ben was showing me the website he just created about Louis Sachar and his books, the final part of a long author study project. The website is so professional, I was blown away. On the “about the author” page (which is about the student, not the author studied), Ben wrote about himself, saying that above all, he “wants to be normal and explore the world”.

As I said to the TV reporter who covered Ben’s room transformation five years ago, we try to do everything for Ben because we want him to do everything he can. So many people along the way have helped us feel like we and Ben can do everything and anything. Stefan Nathanson, Mike Collins and Bill Hughes, founder and founding board members of Room to Dream Foundation started Ben on his flight in Kindergarten. Beth Quinty, Heather Heon, Paul Johnson and SO many teachers, therapists and friends along the way have made sure that Ben remains in flight.

When the 5th graders fly up to the middle school this week, I’ll be looking forward to another leg of the voyage, but I’ll never forget where we’ve been. It’s been an unforgettable ride, and one that I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams.

Aiko Chhoun posted on December 29, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I reckon something genuinely interesting about your site so I saved to favorites.

Dipak Basu posted on February 26, 2013 at 3:26 pm

So hard for a brave boy. Do let us know how the surgery goes. Kaka and Kakima

Rani Elwy posted on March 1, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Thank you for these kind and supportive thoughts–we will indeed keep you posted!

chat posted on March 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.

chocopie posted on December 16, 2018 at 5:29 pm

cdCMhb You made some good points there. I did a search on the subject and found most persons will approve with your blog.

ยาเพิ่ม& posted on December 24, 2018 at 7:03 am

In it something is also to me it seems it is excellent idea. Completely with you I will agree.

fundrise posted on December 26, 2018 at 9:34 am

Really appreciate you sharing this blog post.Really thank you! Much obliged.

Satta matka posted on December 26, 2018 at 10:01 am

You have brought up a very fantastic points , appreciate it for the post.

togel online posted on February 26, 2019 at 4:53 am

Thanks for another great article. Where else may anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect means of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the look for such information.

Eye Whitening posted on March 25, 2019 at 7:17 am

in support of his web page, because here every

Hye Carle posted on September 30, 2019 at 2:37 am

Thanks for great article. I read it with great pleasure. I look forward to the next post.

Reading Comprehension Worksheets Grade 1 posted on October 21, 2019 at 7:44 am

I really liked your blog post. Much obliged.

pravni posted on October 30, 2019 at 5:44 am

Some were practical, of course, but others were psychological

Beer fridge posted on November 26, 2019 at 3:31 pm

Very nice info and straight to the point. I don at know if this is actually the best place to ask but do you folks have any ideea where to employ some professional writers? Thanks in advance

Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery posted on December 2, 2019 at 4:18 am

Your style is very unique compared to other people I ave read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this page.

dashiki online store posted on December 17, 2019 at 5:31 am

You made some clear points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found most guys will consent with your site.

ciliegia posted on February 18, 2020 at 4:03 am

it is a really nice point of view. I usually meet people who rather say what they suppose others want to hear. Good and well written! I will come back to your site for sure!

offshore company posted on April 24, 2020 at 7:28 am

There as certainly a great deal to learn about this topic. I love all of the points you made.

Bharat Samachar posted on May 4, 2020 at 8:05 am

Thank you for another excellent article. Where else could anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing? I ave a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such info.

UV Light Air Filters posted on May 18, 2020 at 3:50 pm

I really liked your article.Really looking forward to read more. Fantastic.

Bodylotion posted on May 25, 2020 at 6:42 am

Therefore that as why this post is great. Thanks!

Mp3 download posted on July 6, 2020 at 9:39 am

This very blog is without a doubt entertaining as well as amusing. I have found a lot of handy stuff out of this blog. I ad love to go back over and over again. Cheers!

rolet online posted on July 20, 2020 at 6:14 am

tarde sera je serais incapable avons enfin du les os du.

gotv subscription online posted on October 28, 2020 at 1:29 pm

your host? I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

tesla car subscription posted on November 2, 2020 at 9:44 am

Say, you got a nice post.Really looking forward to read more. Fantastic.

Blogging Tips posted on November 9, 2020 at 10:11 am

It as really a great and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Blog gotówkowy posted on November 16, 2020 at 10:11 am

I think this is a real great blog post. Fantastic.

Sample Paper 2021 posted on November 16, 2020 at 11:06 am

just beneath, are a lot of totally not connected web-sites to ours, nevertheless, they may be surely really worth going over

Question Paper 2021 posted on November 16, 2020 at 11:34 am

I truly appreciate this post. I ave been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thank you again..

κατασκευ&# posted on January 11, 2021 at 7:51 am

Thank you ever so for you blog post. Will read on

ionclub posted on February 8, 2021 at 5:51 am

Online Article Every once in a while we choose blogs that we read. Listed above are the latest sites that we choose

Designed office furniture posted on February 10, 2021 at 8:55 am

Really enjoyed this article post. Awesome.

https://180.210.204.77/ posted on March 9, 2021 at 1:16 am

Thanks again for the blog article.Really thank you!

Rohrreinigung posted on April 2, 2021 at 5:01 am

you ave got an excellent blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my weblog?

mobile app development riyadh posted on April 9, 2021 at 9:08 am

Thanks-a-mundo for the article post. Want more.

atika posted on June 6, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Thanks for a nice post. I really love it. It’s so good and so awesome. Satta Matka or simply Matka is Indian game. Matkaoffice.net is world’s fastest matka official website. Welcome to top matka world SATTA MATKAsatta matka.

Satta Matka posted on August 16, 2021 at 8:06 am

Welcome To Satta Matka MX, Top Leading WebSite For Satta Results. It’s where you earn and we support. We are delighted to welcome you at the authentic Satta Matka website.

Nick Contee posted on October 21, 2021 at 9:10 am

https://www.reinstallgt.net/producto/dog-bone/

wells fargo posted on October 22, 2021 at 4:04 pm

Can I share it with my friends.

matkamobi posted on December 21, 2021 at 2:29 am

You have posted a fantastic point, Want to get more info then visit here

Satta King posted on June 7, 2022 at 5:46 am

You Have Posted A Fantastic Point. Go ahead

Online Matka posted on July 18, 2022 at 7:48 am

Fantastic content… Nice one!!!