Iceland Pre-Op Adventure

Ben is scheduled for spinal fusion surgery on April 4. We’ve known this was going to happen since last August, but willingly blocked it out of our minds until this year. Since January, however, we’ve had to face reality: we’ve had school and therapist meetings to prepare for Ben’s 6 weeks away from school, we’ve scheduled necessary pre-op appointments and have successfully coordinated an eye exam under anesthesia just before the spine surgery takes place, and I’ve been working overtime so that I can more easily take time off work to concentrate on Ben.

But for this surgery, which will be number 24 for Ben and his most trying one to date, we added a very important prepratory step–that of a family trip to Iceland! We wanted to do something fun and different before something challenging and difficult.

Elwy kids at Keflavik Aiport map

Elwy kids at Keflavik Aiport map

Iceland in February sounded different (but fun?), and as one Icelander said to us, “as long as you can handle the wind and the sideways rain” you’ll be fine! But we didn’t expect the accessibility of a country of only 300,000 people, two-thirds of whom live in its capital city Reykjavik, to rival every other place we’ve ever been.

We visited the Sun Voyager in Reykjavik, to no avail!

Upon arrival in Keflavik International Airport, Icelandair staff met us at the gate with a wheelchair for Ben and personally guided our family through immigration to the baggage claim. While getting our rental car, Thor, our first Icelandic friend, gave us a history of the country, told us key facts about certain towns and cities, explained all the movies made in Iceland, and told us where to take Ben.

The apartment we rented on Vatnisstigur in Reykjavik was an accessible dream, with wide, open areas and hallways, a roll-in shower, and not one step, anywhere, inside or outside the building. Elding Whale Watch Cruise staff took me on a brief tour of their two ships so that we could figure out which one would be most accessible for Ben.

On the Elding Whale Watch Cruise, Reykjavik

Separate, disabled bathrooms (favorite Icelandic word–snyrthingar) are everywhere, including the tiny Volcano House museum.

Slatted walkways allow visitors using wheelchairs or walkers to get close to Gullfoss, the gorgeous (but windy!) waterfall in the Golden Triangle.

Ben, Lucy and Charlotte brave the winds at Gullfoss, Iceland

City planners in Reykjavik have added stone ramps to every public area where steps abound.

Ben (and Sherin) loving the ramps at Austurvollur square, Reykjavik

I’m not sure if they use the words “universal design” in Iceland, but they epitomize it.

Sure, there were things we couldn’t do, like 10 hour treks across glaciers, and in some areas, Sherin was forced to carry Ben while I lifted the walker. But what Ben could do in Iceland was much more than what he couldn’t do. And we lifted him less on this trip then any other one I can remember.

Despite the wind, I will never forget the beauty of Iceland, and I have stored these serene images in my head. When Ben is recovering in the ICU following his spine surgery, and critical care providers are working as hard as possible to control his pain (which may nor may not work, we’ve been there before), I’ll at least be able to conjure up images of lakes and mountains in Thingvellir National Park, the shooting Strokkur geyser in Geysir, the beauty of rain crystals on Ben’s eyelashes as he soaked in the milky blue-white silica geothermal spring Blue Lagoon in Grindavik, and his joy of being under the hot waterfall there.

Basking in the Blue Lagoon

I’ll be able to help Ben visualize these images as well, as a meditative practice on all things beautiful and good, and we’ll make a mantram out of them for dealing with pain, anxiety, stress and impatience.

In April, just say the word Iceland to me, and I’ll remember my mantram. Here’s hoping that this trip, which has done our family so much good already, will also be the coping mechanism that I need it to be later on.

Heather Perea Beering posted on February 24, 2013 at 6:31 pm

It sounds like a wonderful trip! Magical in it’s own ways. I pray that it’s calming powers are restorative when needed. It sounds like one of the best pre-op preparations. Sending love to you.

John Ghose posted on February 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm

This post has given me lots of wonderful images to conjure up as well – specifically of a living, resilient, positive family full of love, support, and a sense of adventure. Many challenges await but take a moment to be VERY proud of yourselves, each of you. Sending all of you and especially Ben lots of loving vibrations.

Rani Elwy posted on February 25, 2013 at 12:56 am

Restorative is a good word. I am going to remember that!

Rani Elwy posted on February 25, 2013 at 12:58 am

I love that we are finally getting back to being adventurous! We had many quiet years in there. I’m hoping we can keep it up, fingers crossed for smooth sailing after April. Rani xx

Mary Katherine posted on February 25, 2013 at 8:41 am

Your trip serves as a testimony to the love, faith, hope and courage of your wonderful family. What a blessed and wonderful way to celebrate the present moment – and store up warm memories to sustain you in what will no doubt be the challenges of the future. Inspiring! I am blessed to receive your story this morning. May you continue to be held in the palm of God’s loving hand and may each of your lights glow on!

Rani Elwy posted on February 25, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Thank you for such uplifting words! I always love it when I read you words here. Love to all of you, Rani

Annie Brummer posted on April 20, 2013 at 11:43 am

As Ben progresses out of this major surgery… I’m hoping he’s planning your family’s next adventure ! Believe me, Jack has chosen some very happy trips for our family ! Hope Ben knows what a tough guy he is !! Annie Brummer

Rani Elwy posted on April 22, 2013 at 10:41 am

Tell Jack that he should suggest our next adventure to Ben!–Rani

Płyn do szyb posted on December 19, 2018 at 8:59 am

Iceland is a unique place. Actually there are not many people there, but this place is not for everyone. The volcanic scenery corresponds to a few.

Josue posted on June 15, 2021 at 7:49 am

Amazing trip, love you all.

Josue

Roboty ziemne Lubawa posted on July 3, 2021 at 6:03 am

Good and Helpful article.

Tworzenie stron internetowych Cieszy posted on January 30, 2023 at 5:49 am

Amazing trip and Helpful article.

Tworzenie Stron internetowych posted on January 30, 2023 at 5:50 am

Very Helpful and interesting article.

놀이터토토 posted on September 21, 2023 at 11:19 pm

There was an impressive presentation in this amazing web presence. We were happy to see it again, and no doubt we continue to look for something unique. 놀이터토토