Do college athletes own their own images?

A group of former college athletes have sued the NCAA for a percentage of the money that the NCAA and colleges make from TV networks and videogame makers. The plaintiffs say the NCAA conspires with its business partners to fix the price of an athlete’s image at zero. A federal judge is currently deciding whether to make the case a class action.

EA Sports, a video game company, got caught in the middle of the NCAA lawsuit because of its NCAA football video game. The game, which many of you may be familiar with, closely resembles real game play, including the likeness of many college players. As students, under NCAA rules they are not entitled to get paid for anything related to their sports. EA Sports recently settled with the students for an undisclosed amount. More interestingly, they decided to stop making the game. It seems it wasn’t worth it for the gaming company because without the authentic athletes, the game wouldn’t be up to the company’s standard.

Click here for more on the case. Should college students own their own images for sports?

KP posted on October 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Even though I am an college athlete I don’t really understand most of the NCAA rules. I would understand that the university that I represent owns my picture and may use it. However I do not understand why the NCAA owns my picture. I feel like if other students can make money for working why couldn’t college athletes make money for their pictures?

Nicole Bishop posted on October 9, 2013 at 10:05 am

Before I transferred I played a D1 sport so I have experienced college as an athlete but also a regular student. A student athlete is not only representing their school when they play a sport, they also represent a bigger group of NCAA athletes all over the country. If the NCAA did not have such strict rules and sanctions, where does an athlete stop collecting money, gifts, or favors based on their image or performance in sports? One would wonder if this would change the competitiveness of some schools and favor those with the most donations. Even though we do not know what would happen if the NCAA did not own a players image, we can assume that it would tarnish the reputation and prestigiousness that goes along with being a college athlete. I guess if I were still an athlete I wouldn’t care that the NCAA owned my picture because I ran cross country and no one would want my “image”.

halo 4 pc posted on October 13, 2013 at 2:39 am

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is an issue that too few people are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy that I came across this during my hunt for something relating to this.

air jordan 1 bred posted on July 4, 2014 at 7:53 am

Hello, I think your web site could possibly be having browser compatibility issues.
Whenever I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in IE, it’s got some overlapping issues.

I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
Other than that, fantastic site!

cheap armani posted on May 21, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I like what you guys are up also. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my web site :).

Rodolfo Chall posted on June 2, 2015 at 12:22 am

Good – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related info ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task.

Wade Venerable posted on June 3, 2015 at 11:55 am

}

yoga strap thick posted on June 19, 2015 at 12:39 am

I must show my thanks to this writer just for bailing me out of such a condition. As a result of looking out throughout the world-wide-web and getting recommendations which are not beneficial, I believed my entire life was gone. Living without the answers to the issues you’ve resolved all through this review is a critical case, as well as the kind that might have negatively affected my entire career if I hadn’t discovered your site. Your primary training and kindness in taking care of every part was very useful. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t encountered such a thing like this. I’m able to at this point look forward to my future. Thanks very much for this specialized and results-oriented help. I won’t be reluctant to recommend your site to any person who needs to have counselling about this matter.

google anchor text posted on June 19, 2015 at 8:23 am

I have been reading out some of your articles and i need to say nice stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog.

cerrajeros low cost posted on June 21, 2015 at 11:39 am

I like this weblog so significantly, saved to my bookmarks .