Spice of the Month: Cilantro

By Elizabeth Jarrard, Dietetics Student, Sargent College

April snuck right up on us! We’re reciting the mantra “April Showers Bring May Flowers” to get through overcast days here at Sargent Choice. We’re also bringing in more and more foods that remind us of summer months. For me, nothing says sunshine more than cilantro-added to fresh salsas, salads and other hot weather foods!

cilantro

Image Source

With a sweet, sour, light taste, cilantro is featured prominently in Asian, Caribbean, Mexican cuisines and pairs wonderfully with Lime. It wilts easily, so be sure to add near end of cooking, & when possible buy fresh. Fresh cilantro has a shelf life of 1 week, but dried will still be good 6 months later. Fresh cilantro should be rinsed and left moist (not wet) and placed in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.

Are you a Cilantro Lover or Hater?

crane company deming division posted on January 28, 2013 at 9:42 am

Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web site is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this blog. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and just could not come across. What an ideal web-site.

Ismael Passini posted on July 12, 2013 at 4:54 pm

good post, this truly taught me to be a great deal.

Kate Johnson posted on February 14, 2024 at 5:20 am

Hello Sargent Choice!

Just stumbled upon your blog post about cilantro, and I have to say, it’s a spice-tacular read! Your enthusiasm for this vibrant herb is contagious, and I found myself nodding along with every word.

The way you broke down the history, culinary uses, and even the potential health benefits of cilantro was not only informative but also made me appreciate this herb in a whole new light. Your writing style is so engaging that I could almost smell the fragrant cilantro through the screen.

I loved how you included practical tips on storing and using cilantro – it’s like having a seasoned chef sharing secrets in my kitchen. Your passion for good food and healthy choices shines through, making it not just a spice guide but a delightful culinary journey.

Reading your blog made me want to rush to the kitchen and experiment with cilantro in ways I hadn’t thought of before. Thanks for adding a dash of flavor to my day, Sargent Choice! Looking forward to more spice adventures with your blog. Keep those tasty insights coming!