Cloves impart a warm, sweet and aromatic taste to sweet breakfast breads and desserts but they can also make a wonderful addition to bean soups, stirfries and grilled dishes. It is very common in Indian and Caribbean recipes. Cloves have a very intense flavor, especially those that have been ground, care should be taken when deciding how much to use in a recipe so as to not overpower the flavors of the other ingredients. Get your spice on with these easy recipes:
- Chicken Breast with a Clove Spice Rub
- Kumquats in Spiced Syrup with Cloves, Cinnamon, and Star Anise
- Spice up fruit compote by adding ground cloves.
- Adding ground cloves to healthy sautéed onions, garlic and tofu will give this dish an Indian-inspired zest.
- Pierce an onion with whole cloves and add to soups, broths or poaching liquids.
How will you use cloves?