Summer is here and it is wonderful. So wonderful in fact that it inspires us to make light, crisp salads and lightly seasoned dishes using the bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables spilling out of the markets.
Take this classic chicken salad.
Our very own Dietetic Intern Kara Cucciano and Executive Chef Chris Bee have collaborated to present a lightened up twist on an old classic. Refreshing with just the right amount of creamy, it is the perfect little salad to tuck into whole-wheat bread for a picnic on the beach.
Napa Valley Chicken Salad
Makes 4 Servings
- 2-5-ounce baked chicken breast, chopped
- 8 Slices 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp red onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup red grapes, sliced in half
- 1 1/3 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 12 slices tomato
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Combine mayonnaise and vinegar in a medium bowl. Add Chicken, celery, onions, spices and walnuts; combine. Gently fold in grapes
- For sandwiches: spread chicken salad mixture onto one slice of bread add tomato slices on top of chicken salad, and then add alfalfa sprouts. Place other slice of bread on top.
Simple and nutritious, yet wonderfully flavorful. Eat, Relax, Enjoy.
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Have some leftover red onions? Use it up in our equally delicious Tuscan Tuna Salad.