CSA Week 11: Simply Peachy

CSA 11By Kelli Swensen, Dietetics Student, Sargent College

Out of all the CSA boxes this summer, I have to say that this week’s is my favorite! Filled with colorful peppers, sweet fruit, and a vegetable I’d never heard of, this CSA box is sure to make your next couple of meals stunning.

CSA112

What’s in the box? 1 Melon, 3 Peaches, 1 lb Tomatoes, 4 sweet/frying Peppers, 1 pt. Cherry Tomatoes, 1 bunch Carrots, 1 Kohlrabi, and 1 lbs Potatoes

kohlobiuseWhat on earth is a kohlrabi?! I did some researching and found out that a kohlrabi is part of the turnip family and is often categorized as a cabbage turnip. They’re quite small and are typically light green in color, but you can sometimes find the purple variety (which is supposed to be slightly sweeter than the green). Many websites describe them as tasting similar to broccoli or cabbage. Nutritionally, they are high in fiber and potassium and are a good source of calcium, folic acid, and vitamins A and C. So how do you eat them? Although I haven’t tried them myself, asking around I found that people eat them both raw and cooked. If eating raw, as with all fruits and vegetables, be sure to wash thoroughly. To cook them, simply wash, dice, and roast (for tips on roasting vegetables check out our previous post HERE).

Coming from Colorado where the end of August is peach season, peaches hold a special place in my heart and no summer is complete without them. My favorite way to enjoy fresh peaches is to roast them on a grill. Although grilling peaches takes more time, the outcome is totally worth it! The flavor of a grilled peach is unbeatable and makes any salad scream summer! Not in the mood for a salad, I recently took my grilled peach slices and put them in my homemade Sargent Choice parfait in place of the usual berries. Completely delicious! I love the original parfait, but it’s going to be hard to settle for berries after having grilled peaches version!

Grilled Peaches
Original recipe HERE

4 Peaches
~2 T melted butter (I found i only needed half the amount)

1. Heat grill to medium-low (Don’t have a grill? Try using a George Forman instead!)
2. Halve and pit the peaches; brush cut sides with butter
3. Place peaches cut-side down on grill. Cover grill and cook until charred and softened; about 4-5min

Ayfiel posted on January 31, 2012 at 12:54 am

Thanks for your nice share. Lets back to natural food for our health.
Honey Joys

Alfia posted on October 14, 2012 at 7:57 pm

This is a delicious recipe! Thank you!

Jan posted on March 20, 2013 at 9:58 am

This recipe is very simple and delicious. Thanks for sharing!