Vist from the Meal Makeover Moms!

By Bianca Tamburello, Dietetics Student, Sargent College

Every Wednesday Karen Jacobs EdD, OTR/L, CPE, FAOTA hosts the Sargent Choice Test Kitchen in StuVi 2 Apt. 2302 from 8-11pm. She kindly welcomes the BU community to make and test new Sargent Choice recipes while we eat, talk and play Bananagrams.

Check out the Sargent Choice event calendar and joins us next week!

Our Guests

Last semester, the Sargent Choice Test Kitchen was far from ordinary. We were lucky enough to enjoy SC Penne with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic, and Beans with the Meal Makeover Moms, Janice Bissex, MS, RD and Liz Weiss, MS, RD.

Janice and Liz are Registered Dietitians, authors of two cookbooks, No Whine with Dinner and The Moms’ Guide to Meal Makeovers and of course BU alumni. As entrepreneurs, authors and food bloggers, Janice and Liz are an inspiration to future RDs and BU students (like me)!

I had the wonderful opportunity to work with Janice and Liz this summer. I learned about nutrition blogging, recipe development and food photography from two of the nation’s experts. Check out their website for their bios and some great recipes.

Of course, I was hoping to impress my summer bosses, but things didn’t go as planned. The proximity to final exams put a damper on student attendance and an ingredient mysteriously missing from the ingredients section of the recipe was overlooked. Although the SC Test Kitchen didn’t go as smoothly as usual, I had a fantastic time catching up with Janice and Liz. They even interviewed Karen and I to be featured on their weekly podcast.

Check back here to listen to Karen and I talk about the KJ SC Test Kitchen with Janice and Liz.

Be sure to check out my podcast with the Meal Makeover Moms here!

SC Penne with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic and White Beans

The roasted tomatoes were a big hit with students, but we felt the rest of the recipe needed a bit more flavor. This could be accomplished with the addition of spices or herbs, such as red pepper flakes. The absence of lemon juice (the mysteriously missing ingredient from the ingredient list) would have boosted the diversity of the dish. All in all, this recipe needs some modification before it enters the dining hall.

Sargent Choice Penne with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic, and White Beans
Yields 8 servings

Ingredients:
6-8 large ripe tomatoes (about 4 lbs)
12 large cloves garlic, papery outermost skin removed, but left unpeeled
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 (15.5-oz) cans cannellini or other white beans, low-sodium
1 box (13.5-oz) whole wheat penne pasta
2/3 cup fresh basil leaves cut into ribbons
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 450˚.

2. Slice each tomato into 8 wedges and discard the seeds.  Put the tomato wedges and garlic in a large roasting pan or cookie sheet, toss with 4 tablespoons of the oil, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the salt and pepper to taste.  Roast, uncovered, until the tomatoes lose their shape and become slightly charred, 35 to 40 minutes.

3. Drain the beans in a large colander in the sink.

4. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain the pasta in the colander containing the beans, so the hot pasta water warms the beans.  Return the drained pasta and beans to the pasta pot.

5.  When the tomatoes are done, carefully pick out the garlic cloves, squeeze the garlic out of the skin into a small bowl, and mash with a fork.  Add the lemon juice, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and ½ teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper, and stir to combine.

6.  Transfer the roasted tomatoes to the pasta pot, and add the garlic-lemon mixture and basil. Toss to combine.  Serve topped with the Parmesan.

1 serving (~1.5 cups)
Calories 460
Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Protein 18g
Carbohydrates 68 g
Fiber 12 g

Adapted from Elie Krieger, The Food you Crave

Free Chatline posted on March 15, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I like what you guys are up too. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my website 🙂

distillery equipment posted on July 27, 2022 at 2:15 am

A happy day

Boyacı Ustası posted on April 19, 2023 at 5:30 pm

It is deicious. Thank you for recipe.