Veggie Patch Pie

By Kelli Swensen, Dietetics Student, Sargent College

Every Wednesday Karen Jacobs EdD, OTR/L, CPE, FAOTA hosts the Sargent Choice Test Kitchen in Stuvi 2 Apt. 2302 from 8-11pm. She kindly welcomes the BU community to test new Sargent Choice recipes while we eat, talk and play Bananagrams

I remember the first Karen Jacob SC Test Kitchen I attended: it was early December sophomore year and freezing out. Thankfully, the recipe that night was gooey, rich chocolate cherry cookies that warmed me right up. This past Wednesday was my last time attending the Test Kitchen (at least as an undergraduate), and while the weather couldn’t have been more different than my first journey there, the food and people were just as warm and welcoming as always.

Veggie Tofu Patch Pie. The name alone got both Karen and me excited to make the recipe, and the results did not disappoint. Another crowd pleaser from the Meal Makeover Moms, this pie resembles a crustless quiche and is beautifully speckled with color from the veggies. Now I know the idea of tofu may scare some of you away from trying it, but I promise that if someone made this for you without telling you what is in it, you would not guess that it contains tofu. The pie has a soft, airy texture that is complemented with a little crunch from the veggies. And the taste? Very much like a light quiche. The only change I would make next time is a little more garlic and black pepper. I also like spicy foods, so I would even consider adding in some red pepper flakes.

The mixture should come to a hummus-like consistency

This pie is colorful, silky, healthy, and easy to prepare making it a perfect option for Mother’s Day or celebrating graduation with a brunch.

Veggie Patch Tofu Pie
Recipe from Meal Makeover Mom’s cookbook No Whine with Dinner
Yield 6 Servings

Ingredients

• 1 16-oz package firm tofu
  • 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 6-oz bag baby spinach (4 cups)
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded (1/2 cup)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain the tofu in a colander. Place on a cutting board and cut into four 1-in-thick slices. Pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
  2. Lightly oil or goat a 9-in pie plate with non-stick cooking spray
  3. Heat oil in large non-stick skilled over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stiring frequently until golden for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Raise heat to medium-high, add the spinach and carrot, and cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach wilts and the carrot is tender, about 5 minutes. Place on cutting board and coarsely chop. At the test kitchen, instead of chopping we placed them in the food processor.
  4. Meanwhile, place the tofu, eggs, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the Cheddar cheese and cooked vegetables.
  5. Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared pie plate and bake until golden, about 35min. Let stand for 5 minutes so pie is easier to slice

Nutrition Facts per Slice
Calories: 170
Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: 4g
Protein: 15g
Carbohydrate: 7g
Fiber: 2g
Sodium: 400mg

Stephanie posted on May 14, 2013 at 4:11 am

I love quiches but I try to avoid dairy because I’m lactose intolerant. thought this might be a good alternative, but saw that there’s still cheese inside. no matter, I’m sure I can find something to replace the cheese in this.

ricki@ yeast free diet posted on June 3, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I’m also like spicy foods, it really get my appetite up 🙂
Andfor this pie recipe, most of it, I like it. I personally love tofu, they are good for my nutrients intake…

distillery equipment posted on July 27, 2022 at 1:58 am

Thanks for sharing

desa laguna posted on July 25, 2023 at 1:28 am

Desa Laguna is a resort island on the Thousand Islands with an environmentally friendly regenerative concept for your most exciting & memorable travel experience. Desa laguna have veggie meals is located on Karang Bongkok Island – the Thousand Islands with a distance of only 90 minutes from Jakarta by speedboat.

riskanabila posted on November 17, 2023 at 8:17 am

āļ‚āļ­āļšāļ„āļļāļ“āļŠāļģāļŦāļĢāļąāļšāđ€āļ™āļ·āđ‰āļ­āļŦāļēāļ‚āļ­āļ‡āļ„āļļāļ“ āļŠāļīāđˆāļ‡āļ™āļĩāđ‰āļĄāļĩāļ›āļĢāļ°āđ‚āļĒāļŠāļ™āđŒāļĄāļēāļāļŠāļģāļŦāļĢāļąāļšāļ‰āļąāļ™āđāļĨāļ°āļ„āļ™āļ­āļ·āđˆāļ™āđ† āļ‰āļąāļ™āļ‚āļ­āļ‚āļ­āļšāļ„āļļāļ“āļ­āļĩāļāļ„āļĢāļąāđ‰āļ‡ āļŠāļ§āļąāļŠāļ”āļĩāļ™āļĩāđˆāđ€āļ›āđ‡āļ™āđ€āļ™āļ·āđ‰āļ­āļŦāļēāļ—āļĩāđˆāļĄāļĩāļ›āļĢāļ°āđ‚āļĒāļŠāļ™āđŒāļĄāļēāļ

santinabila posted on November 17, 2023 at 8:17 am

ini sangat berguna kelebihan artikel