Exploring Education in Boston

Exploring Education in Boston by Emily Doughan, SED 2016

In my Inequalities in Education class last week, we went on a tour around Boston in order to supplement what we were learning in class. We spent the two previous lectures discussing racial tensions in the post-segregation school system and focused on the tumultuous time during the 1970′s when mandated busing occurred between Roxbury and South End. We focused most of our attention on the protests around South Boston High School. Our professors wanted us to see first hand the city’s most notable locations as they related to the problems attached to busing as well as early days of education.

This was the second time that one of my education classes took us on a tour of Boston. Some students held the opinion that one education tour of Boston was enough, that the last thing they wanted to do at 8am was traipse around the city or that it was simply too cold to spend your time outside. Now I admit, waking up for an 8am class is difficult, whether you are on a walking tour or not. But I think that there is something so incredibly special about having the opportunity to tour Boston causally on Thursday morning. Key word, casually. While this was a premeditated plan, the ease at which it was executed was remarkable. There wasn’t a forty-minute bus ride involved but rather fifteen. It wasn’t a huge production, just a group of students walking around what was essentially their backyard. This tour had me thinking that for so many of my friends who go to different schools, they have to learn the material the same material as I did with just a lecture and PowerPoint slides while I got to see the landmarks firsthand. I couldn’t help but think, as we ended our tour at Carson Beach in South Boston, how lucky we were.

Artwork by Jason Gan

When I was first deciding on which college I would attend, I was intrigued by the idea that Boston is our campus at Boston University. I enjoyed the idea of always having something to see or do as well as having the T run straight through our campus. However, just recreationally is not the only way that the city of Boston is part of our campus.  In every class, lecture, and lesson, Boston is very much a part of our day to day school atmosphere. As a student I feel incredibly lucky to be learning in and learning from such a vibrant place.

Soha @ JoGuru posted on April 4, 2014 at 5:00 am

I did my diploma from Boston university and with it was working as a travel expert for JoGuru trip planning site..I explored each and every place in Boston city with it also studied well..Miss u Boston.