Visiting and Beginning at BUSED

Visiting and Beginning at BUSED by Caroline Kocent, SED 2015

As Fall Open House approaches in the School of Education at Boston University, I cannot help but think about when I visited as a junior in high school, and how time really does fly when you are having fun. I always knew I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher, but it was not until I stepped into the School of Education four years ago that I knew this was where my dream was going to become a reality. What I did not know at the time was that I was going to learn more than just how to be an amazing teacher. The School of Education is a family, and together students grow as advocates, leaders, mentors, teammates, cheerleaders, friends, volunteers, and even dancers.

Paired with an upperclassman mentor as an incoming student eased so many nerves. Right away SED welcomed me into their family with an “older sibling” in the Transitional MentorProgram to look up to and ask questions. I still lean on my mentor and love spending time with her. Now as a second-year mentor myself, I have had the same privilege of welcoming new classmates and exploring the city and campus together. In Boston we volunteer during a day of service, explore local hot spots like the North End for Italian treats, while also taking a harbor cruise one night where everyone dresses all fancy for a night of dining and dancing. I met one of my best friends on the harbor cruise freshman year! On campus we conquer an “Amazing Race” by following several clues that introduce important areas and facts about Boston University, and of course making an excuse to run around and represent the best school on campus shouting “SED ROX” (like Red Sox…but cooler)!

“SED ROX” chants continue at intramural sporting events, where our team, “Detention,” schools like champions in flag football, floor hockey, volleyball, softball, and broomball. Whether you play or cheer, intramural sports help ignite great teamwork and fun with friends old and new. This past game I rallied some friends together to make posters. Next game we are making even more posters, creating cheers, and coordinating our outfits! Soon enough we will have a School of Education cheering section at the BU hockey games too!

The School of Education Student Government plans even more events and adventures. While Student Government meetings can be more serious in educational functions as they support our ideas and act as our voice, they also bring out the kids in us with social events like apple picking, holiday parties, and spring fling. This past weekend we took two school buses to Berlin Orchards for apple picking and fall fun! Asides from the ever-popular harbor cruise event with the Transitional Mentor Program, apple picking is the School of Education’s biggest and best event! The excitement is never-ending: hayrides, kettle corn, small play houses, pumpkins, fresh cider donuts, animals, ice cream, and of course apples galore.

As a leader and advocate in Student Government, a teammate on an intramural team, or a mentor, dancer, and volunteer with the Transitional Mentor Program, students in the School of Education at Boston University become a family who grow into so much more than just teachers.