A Breath of Fresh Air

A Breath of Fresh Air by Jessica Schmidt, SED 2015

I’ll be the first to admit I am easily caught up in the academic bubble of campus. With 20 credits of classes, midterms, homework, and extracurriculars, I can hardly find a moment to myself, let alone a moment to enjoy the city that I’m living in.

Hailing from suburbia, I was excited about the change of pace I was sure to experience when moving to a big city. I definitely felt that change of pace. So much so, that sometimes I wish I could press the pause button for a while, or at the very least, slow down.

So that’s what I try to do every now and again, hit the pause button. Take a break. Breathe. I know I came here for school and to do well, but sometimes the only way I know I’ll get the As in my classes is by taking time to enjoy what is around me.

Artwork by Jason Gan

Boston is one of the most beautiful cities in the country, and we have the amazing opportunity to be living in it every day. My advice to myself and to all students; take an hour or an entire weekend and go exploring. Escape from campus and from stress and sit in the Commons for a while, or if you’re really feeling that attached, bring your homework to work on in the park. Go sit by the harbor and watch the boats come in while eating a cannoli from Mike’s Pastry (or Modern, the debate is ongoing). When the finally falls, spend a night ice skating on frog pond with friends or watch the annual tree lighting ceremony in Quincy Market.

Whatever it is, take time to actually see the place you are living, enjoy the scenery and stop rushing through every moment of the day. A degree from Boston University will be worth so much more if you learned through experiences as well as in the classroom.